Extracurricular activities

Do your kids play any sports or do any activities outside of school? What did you do when you were a kid?

1smartcookie

Asked by 1smartcookie at 4:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, but I hope they will soon.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• We all do Taekwondo (both of my boys, my husband, and me). When I was a kid, I briefly played soccer, but nothing else.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• DD (9) does dance. She wants to play an instrumnet next year. DS (13) goes to the gym with me 2-3 days a week. He used to do Tae Kwan Do - he got very close to a black belt and quit. Now I know how my mother felt when I quit flute after two months in 4th grade.
    1smartcookie

Comment by 1smartcookie (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• right now my kids do soccer and dance. I'm hoping to get our piano tuned, so they can take some piano lessons. As a kid I played softball, all year long and I tried ballet and gymnastics.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 4:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Not currently.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 5:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Not right now
    momkaribg

Answer by momkaribg at 5:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My son will take swimming lessons this Summer, if at all possible (they just canceled the only set we could make) and in the fall, I'm hoping he will start cub scouts.

I wouldn't mind him doing a sport, but he is very non-physical and doesn't like aggressive games. His father does not really want them in sports, and is iffy about scouts, so I suspect it will be one or two a year at most. And maybe a martial art.

My girly daughter likes ballet now and may do that again soon. I'd prefer a sport for her, but it's OK.

I did not like girl scouts (too girly) and ballet (ick! hated it) so when I was growing up, I just swam all the time and that's it! My husband never did any after-school activities at all, and doesn't like them. I agree in that unstructured play time is way more important, but I don't see harm in it if we can afford it and the kids want to, at least some of the year.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• mine dont right now
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 7:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• DS does Kung Fu and Tennis I took dance and gymnastics when I was a kid
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I did nothing when I was a kid, so I've always encouraged mine to become involved in anything they wanted to.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2011