Why all the secrecy?

Ok so I have gone through some postings and I always seem a select few post about home businesses and instead of just giving the general run down of what it is you do, what you sell or what have you and starter cost rather than the "email me and I will tell you about it" stuff? I mean why not share with everyone? You never know who might be interested and if they are they WILL email you I would think right? It just looks shady.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• Because they want to lure you in and get you excited about it before they actually tell you the fine details.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• A lot of the home businesses have clauses for their consultants that prevent them from posting online. When I was with Pampered Chef I could not even have posted "I am a consultant for Pampered Chef!" on the board.

They could lose their home business contract if they breach it.

That's one reason, there are probably more, though!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 4:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• See that is how I feel too. I am hoping I am not stepping on any toes but seriously...what's the point? I don't want to read a long email of blah blah blah when I have no idea what it is anyway.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Really? I mean I have to make sure I put " I am an Independent Contractor with Dove Chocolate Discoveries" but other than that its not a big deal.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• KateDinVA is right. There are many businesses that are very strict on their "no advertising" policy. They want their businesses to be truly built person to person by word of mouth. So many times they would consider posting somewhere on a forum like this as advertising. That is likely why the consultants are being careful to tell you what they can without breaching their contracts.

Furthermore, some people are very picky about who they talk to because it is after all a business. So some people would use that as kind of a screening process to see if you think a like, if you communicate well, if you are truly dedicated to making your business work. This screening process would tell them pretty quickly if they even want to work with you.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 4:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• oops I mean Chocolatier not contractor lol
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• gotcha but generally I speak to anyone interested via phone or email and ask a bunch of questions anyway if they were truly interested. I know with most you can't use the companies name but you can introduce yourself as an Independent Consultant.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I have found the same thing. You want information but they seem to make it so difficult to even find out what it is that they do....that I lose interest and begin to think that there must be something shady. Same here!
    I understand clauses and all that...but even an email doesn't really give alot of info that I NEED right away to help me decide. IDK, I've found this with Amway and others. It was so much WORK just to find out what in the world I'd be doing or selling or what profits etc. Just frustrating, I think. One of those things I guess.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 5:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yeah, I avoi businesses that don't tell you right away.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 5:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yeah and not like emailing someone information is any different than just saying what you do and if it is all about being face to face then most won't bother being on here for a post anyway
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2011