If a bill is in collections does a person have to pay the full amount or is there still an option to make payments

my daughter has a $600 medical bill in collections and they refuse to set up payments..She has explained she is a college student and broke. They tell her it's all or nothing

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 4:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• They are such liars. Have her send $10 a month or whatever she can. They can't sue if she is sending money.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 6:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• they are liars,, unless she bounced a check to them,, send them $50 and make arrangements,, under no circumstances give your checking and or debit card # to them!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• no most of the time after it has been in collections for awhile and they realize they are not getting the money they will come to some type of settlement..also they can get into trouble for refusing to allow her to make payments bc thats them refusing her money all together..she should tell them its payments or none at all and see what happens...also if she is dealing with a collections office that the dr has hired tell her to contact the dr's office directly and see what can be done ppl that are hired debt collectors are asses..and i refuse to deal with them
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 4:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I told her to send them $10 a month anyway and keep record of it and when they want to take her to court the judge will throw the case out because she is making an effort to pay it. the collections are just being jerks because if they collect the whole amount then they get more money themselves.
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Is this the hospital calling her or have they sent it to an outside collection agency? They can sue her if she has not been paying. Period. If she writes them a note (registered letter)offering a monthly sum they have the option to accept it but do not have to as she has already defaulted on the payment. If I was her I'd call consumer credit counseling and ask for their help. Especially if she has other bills to pay. Once they set her up with a single payment for all her bills then the collection agency can no longer collect (or sue).
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You should be able to make payments.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• This is a collection's office... she was in the ER last year and insurance paid all of it but $600 and it went into collections a month ago
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• We had a financial crisis 2 years ago and couldn't pay our bills and I now have 3 collection accounts. At first they were all rude and said it was all or nothing. Two were medical bills at 400 and 1000 at the time and one was a 3000 credit card. I waited a few months and then they all of a sudden were willing to negotiate a payment plan. They get a percentage of what they collect, so if she waits a little bit, they will budge and accept payments. If they can collect the full amount they get a bonus, so that is what they are trying to do, but if she stands her ground, they will give in.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I don't pay those. My mortgage co said they don't count medical bills toward my credit history so I don't bother paying anything that insurance doesn't cover. The hospitals inflate those charges so much that it's sinful anyway. They still make money.
    Anonymous

• Once it's in collections it's all or nothing. BUT, she can still go to the hospital and make a payment plan if they're agreeable. I've had enough medical bills go to collections and we've either come up with the money and paid it all or gone back to the hospital and made arrangements.
    Anonymous