how do u potty train a 2yrs 7 mos old boy

cruelwomen

Asked by cruelwomen at 5:07 AM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• switch to reusable or "cloth" diapers. have your son help you clean them. they don't wick away the moisture as well and make it more uncomfortable for your kid so they start to want to use the toilet. start bringing him in the bathroom when you go and tell him that you're using the big kid potty. ask if he'd like to try it out. please be sure to use any and all techniques, my neighbors never tried anything with their son and now he's almost 5 and just starting to think about potty training!
    MidniteMochaMom

Answer by MidniteMochaMom at 5:55 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• The best advice I ever got when potty training my boys was to take their pants off and let them run around naked. We put the potty chair in the living room because our only bathroom is upstairs. It took about 4-5 months for them to totally get it, but it worked!! This is best done in the summer months when it's warm outside.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:32 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I have 3 boys, aged 5, 3 and 1. My experience with potty training is that they won't do it until they're ready. My oldest son was on and off showing some interest once he turned 3. At about 3 1/2, I brought home a dozen Hanes boys' underwear and excitedly announced that he was now potty trained. He was really excited! We made a big production of taking off and disposing of the last diaper he'd ever wear. Sure there were plenty of accidents in the beginning, but it worked out really well for us in the end.

Our second son just started using the potty on his own. That was pretty cool!! I can't believe how quickly he took to it with very few accidents.

Whatever you decide, please be patient and compassionate. And good luck to you!
    MamaBulla

Answer by MamaBulla at 8:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• He needs to show interest before you start. The month before I started I bought the little potty and left it in the bedroom or living room and my son played with it. I would always say things like, when you are ready, you can sit on it with no diaper. When i went to the bathroom or was sitting in the living room, I brought it in with me and left a small bag of snack near it... he would follow and want to sit and eat the snack, but I would tell him he had to take his diaper off first... that worked.
    Then over Christmas break, I spent 4 solid days in the house.. never left and he was potty trained... Once you start, Get rid of the diapers. The only thing I used was pull-ups at nap time and bed time and we called them 'sleeping underwear'
    sr0128

Answer by sr0128 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• For my son i took him to the bathroom every hour to every half an hour on his potty chair for about 10 mins, that kind of worked but what really got him useing the potty was everytime i had to go pee or who ever was watching him had too we would take him into the bathroom with us sit him down on the potty chair and we would go pee and he learned to go pee when we did then he just started going to the bathroom on his own like 2-4 months later.
    phoebematthew

Answer by phoebematthew at 12:46 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I tried all of the above when my son was in the 2-3 age range. Nothing worked. He hated his little potty and wouldn't sit on it. He cried if I asked him to wear his "big boy underwear" for more than 10 minutes. Then, one day I was changing his diaper and didn't have a fresh one immediately at hand, so I pulled his shorts up and turned him loose. He never used a diaper after that, except at night. Of course, it meant I had to buy boxer shorts for him... ever try to find size 3 boxers? Nordstrom's at $$ a pair, but cheaper than diapers, I suppose.

BTW, he's 15 now and still prefers boxers to briefs.
    GeeCarl

Answer by GeeCarl at 1:40 PM on Jul. 14, 2008