Anyone think counseling is a big waste of time?

i already paid for it, but i sort of want a refund
would love to be convinced otherwise and to stay cuz it's worth it

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Health

• It's only a waste of time if you don't put the effort into it.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• it works for some people but not for me and my husband and off to get a divorce now. If you really love each other and want things to work then do it. But if otherwise do not waste your or your husbands time and money. Full your heart and go with that.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:52 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• With the right kind of counselor, I think it's helpful. I think it helps to go in with an open mind and be willing to learn things about yourself that you might not like, and learn methods how to grow from it. I don't think it's something someone should soley rely on, but I think it's a good tool to use to keep a healthy balance when you need it.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• depends
    person or couple has to want to go and think a good chance of helping
    going in with attitude of a waste of time.... will = a waste of time
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• its a total waste of time..my dd went to therapy and counceling for 5yrs and shes still a nut job and has serious issues
    Anonymous

• My dh and I tried counceling a couple of times, without much success. One councelor took a liking to him and confused us with other patients....Another one was still living in the 50s, so her ideas were not pratical....I guess when you find the right one, it may really help. Just give it a try since it was already paid for. We did actually take a small bit from each one that did help us. Good luck!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 4:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• try to think of it as the clearest mirror to look into
    if you have a good therapist, YOU will figure out the issue and takes steps to fix it
    and the therapist will be the mirror holder
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• The fit between you and the therapist is sooooo important. If you are feeling like it is a waste, you may need to try a different therapist. Depending on what kind of interventions they have, the experience can be soooooo different.

If you are working on anxiety/depression, the best therapist will incorporate some cognitive-behavioral.
    Couples work - you need an actual couples therapy specialist, not just someone who "does" couples.
    Personality Disorders - find someone who is psychodynamic.
    Family issue - look for a systems therapist.

Good luck mama.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It is only a waste of time if you don't cooperate or want to be there. Counseling only works if you are willing to work on your issues. It's not a counselors job to fix you, it's their job to give you the skills to overcome your issues. Also, you won't get your money back.

To anon. that called her child a nut case...your attiude may be the reason counseling didn't work for your child. How can you call your own child a nut case? Even if he/she does have major mental health issues, it's wrong to call the child a nutcase.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• thanks all i dont know who to give best answer to, tyfry or imaginationmama!
    lizzybee44

Comment by lizzybee44 (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2011