Breastfeeding and Alcohol

Hey guys! I know it probably sounds bad, but I am ready for a night out! My son will be 3 weeks old on Saturday, and I have *only* breastfed him since he was born. I was wondering about how much milk I will have to pump for the night and the next day, or whatever advice you guys have about drinking while feeding. I am going to start introducing him to bottles with pumped milk in them on Sunday so I can get him use to that for when I go back to work. Buttttt yeah, any advice would be appreciated! Please and Thank You!!

mamaturtle2011

Asked by mamaturtle2011 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• depends on how much you were planning on drinking

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Basic rule of thumb is that id you are sober enough to drive and not get a DUI then you are sober enough to breast feed. It exits your breast milk when it exits your body. It is dehydrating though so be careful that can effect your supply. This is a good site tthat explains it better and give more tips about when it is and is not okay to breastfeed and drink.  LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• They have test strips you can buy to test the alcohol in your breastmilk before feeding again to make sure its all out. Also I've heard you are also suppose to pump & dump before feeding again. Never tried either.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 5:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• 1-1.25 oz per hour is the general rule for the amount they drink...during growth spurts it can be more.
    I was told that if you're good to drive, then you're good to nurse.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• you will have to pump enough milk for enough feedings for the baby. you know how much baby eats, be wary that baby may not take the bottle and you might be out of luck.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• how much do you plan on drinking. As long as you keep it under control you wouldn't have to pump and dump. The yeast in alcohol actually help you make more milk
    spidermonkey090

Answer by spidermonkey090 at 10:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2011