Do you think that women who have a planned c-section.....

have a better experience and easier recovery than those who have an unplanned, emergency c-section?

I'm just curious because it seems like a lot of the c-section stories that I've read about have better experiences and shorter, easier recoveries when it was planned. I wonder if any of it is psychological.

Does going into it knowing that you're going to have a c-section and knowing that it's supposed to take about 6 weeks to recover and knowing about the pain and everything make it a little easier than if it was not planned?

Does the disappointment of ending up having an unplanned c-section make it harder to recover?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Actually c-section mommies have a longer time. They had abdominal surgery

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• yes i think not knowing you are having a c-section makes recovery alot harder..it did for me anyway..i was totally not expecting one at 29wks..i had no clue what was going to happen or what to expect i was totally freaking out
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 4:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes butterfly, I know c-sections are abdominal surgery and typically take longer to recover from than a vaginal deliver. I wasn't talking about c-section vs. vaginal. LOL I'm talking about planned c-section vs. unplanned, emergency c-section.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I guess psychologically, this could be true. They are more prepared for the surgery and have time to cope with the aftermath where as someone like myself and others who have to have one last minute aren't as prepared. I don't think it helps the healing along physically, but they may have a better method of mentally going through it.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i don't think knowing whether or not you're going to have one makes any impact on recovery. i think the health conditions going in might though. for example if you're already exhausted from a 9 hour labor (my case) and the epidural has virtually worn off and it's your first time getting abdominal surgery, then recovery is going to be harder than if you went in for a planned one. your body didn't go through any physical stress beforehand (typically). my second, planned cesarean was easier in every aspect than the first unplanned.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Depends on why it is scheduled in the first place!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• That was my experience. My first was an emergency, after 11 hours of labor. My body was already exhausted from all the contracting, and my baby was soooooo beat-up from being stuck.

My second was planned. I was relaxed, and the baby and myself were still in good shape after the procedure. I was walking within a few hours.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• All things being equal, I think the recovery would be easier if it were planned if only because the mom's brain was wired to expect it and the aftermath.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Just trying to understand, why does the reason it was scheduled make a difference?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• When it is an emergency, the docs are in a hurry to get in. The surgery isn't slow and steady, the goal is speed. So, sometimes the cuts won't be as even, as easy, etc. Also, in an emergency, the doctors may be fitting you into a very busy day. The sewing up may not be as slow and careful.

On my schedule one, the doc had a huge time blocked out for me. He spent alot of time "putting me back" in a precise way, sewing slowly and carefully, treating the incision to prevent keloiding, etc.

when you cut through muscles that have already been contrecting with labor, it is not as easy of a cut.

There are physical AND emotional reasons why the healing is harder for an emergency C.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2011