My dog is in heat, how long does this take?

She is 11 months old and started to swell and bleed maybe 3 days ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Pets

• The average heat cycle lasts 21 days.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 2:25 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• what do you mean take?? to have puppies. 63 days. (I think thats what you are asking)
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I think she means how long is this sweet 'doggy period' going to last- right?
    ceemuhreeashbee

Answer by ceemuhreeashbee at 2:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• the average heat cycle for a dog lasts 21 days. can also depend on the breed for duration
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 2:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• the average heat cycle is 21 days, and can depend on breed for duration
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 2:27 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Sorry, didn't look like my answer posted so tried again , now it's on their more then once.
    babygoose78

• keep her in the house unless you are leashing her to go potty, we put boy undies on our females backwards with a regular pad in there..(poke their tail through the pee pee hole) It is more expensive to have your dog fixed when she is in heat but as soon as this cycle is over...Id be for taking her in right away.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I put her in a kennel outside which is enclosed but all the dogs in town are at our house. It's so embarrassing. I can't get her spayed till after the new year, my vet is fully scheduled till then. So then she is only in her first week, and I have 2 more weeks of this?
    Anonymous

• can't you go to another vet?...make sure that sucker is covered on the tp as well...male dogs have been known to go to ANY extreme necessary to get a little..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I want to make sure you check with your vet before you have her spayed. It might be best to wait until her heat cycle is over. There can be complications from spaying a dog when they are in heat. Such as pyometra which is painful and not good for the dog. Have you looked at joining any groups about pets on CafeMom here? I belong to The Animal Den and we have a lot of vet techs and helpful information in the group. Good Luck and take care of your pup. Make certain there's no way she could get pregnant. Some vet's will do the surgery if they are pregnant in the first stages, but that is a personal option for you. Also, it's not only more expensive but more risky to have a pet spayed while they are in heat, they can have a loss of blood and need more fluids.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2008