Is it okay to leave a cat home alone for the weekend?

In a couple of weeks I will be going to San Diego with my family. I have never left my cat home overnight and am a bit worried if he will be okay. I just moved so I don't have friends or family in the area to check in on him. Do you think he will be ok for 2 days? What is the longest you have left your cat alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pets

• As long as you leave enough food and water it should be ok, I never do this, but be prepared to have a stinky house when you come back!

Answer by older at 5:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i left my dogs for a week while i was in the hospital unexpectidly but someone was checking on them...i would think he would be ok as long as you leave plenty of food and water and has somewhere to use the bathroom
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 5:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yup, as long as they have enough food and water left for them, and you clean the litter box RIGHT before you head out...they will be fine. I left my two cats alone for 5 days before, and they did perfectly fine. I purchased the water and food containers that refill themselves so they had plenty and I didn't have to worry about them knocking over their water bowl or something :) When I came home they were fine, they knocked over a vase of flowers...but thats all :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 5:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• HE should be fine, as long as he has no medical issues. Make sure to put away anything you don't want him in, and take down any breakables he might get into. Leave out a sweater or something that you have worn and not washed, so he can "smell" you and lay on it which will help with any anxiety he might have.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes, I have left my two cats for 5 days. I make sure they have plenty of food and water before I leave, and I make sure the litter box is clean. If you only have one, he may get bored and get into things, so I would leave him some toys.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes. we do it all the time. just make sure the littlerbox is cleaned before you leave. and your counters are cleared off, otherwise everything on the counters may end up on the floor lol. shut the bedroom and bathroom doors are all closed also so its not tempted to do something it shouldn't in the rooms.... and leave plenty of food and water.
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• yes, i have left my two cats alone for a three day weekend vacation and they did fine. They were a little clingy when we got back but after a few days the settled down. Just make sure they have plenty of water and food
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• you might want to get a backup litterbox.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Cats are quite self sufficient. Give them plenty of food and water and make sure the liter box is clean before you leave and they'll do just fine for two or three days. I personally wouldn't leave a cat alone for more than three nights so yes, your cat should be fine. Ours always acts like she was on vacation while we were gone.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 5:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011