Is a shark going to attack me?

So I am going to Mexico and would love to partake in some ocean activities, but I will be on my period. Now of course I will be wearing a tampon, but sharks can smell blood from up to 100 yards away(just saw this on animal planet). Do I dare take a dip in the ocean? I don't want my "box" to get attacked. Futhermore I don't want to put anyone else in danger.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Health

• Hmmm. Odd question.. I don't think I would take the chance. but Im not to sure on the odds of that actually happening
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• hahahaha...im sorry you have to admit it does make for a good laugh..plausable thought and good question no doubt but it did make me laugh a bit...I hope someone can help you out here I wouldnt want your "box" to become lunch for a shark
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I googled this...apparently this is a very common question :D Here's an answer that came up:

"You will not, let us repeat, will not attract sharks by diving during your period. 'We get this question all the time,' says Gowen. 'The amount of blood that leaks into the water is negligible. We have never had a documented case of someone attacked by a shark because they were having their period.,' she says."

- Laurie Gowen from Divers Alert Network, in an interview with Scuba Diving Magazine. [issue August 2005]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Thank you so much! I don't know why I didn't think about googling it! I still am a bit scared, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I would agree that having your "Box" attacked would be a tad bit painful and needless to say embarrassing.

But here's some info I found on a Scuba Site and it was one of the CAUTIONS:

• If you cut or injure yourself... get out! Do not stay in the water with blood around you. Sharks can smell blood from over a mile away. And, for the women who read this, if you are in the middle of your menstrual period, please stay out of the water for your own sake.
Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:50 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Bull$%, They will sooner go after a bleeding fish rather then a bleeding human. You will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Shark attacks on humans are attacks because of mistaken identity. Sharks mistake us for their favorite meals and usually once they take a bite, they let go and wander off again. I wouldn't go in the water but I'm a total wuss when it comes to the ocean. If the water is past my knees I don't swim in it/
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:21 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• When we lived in FL I went to the beach all the time - even when I was on my period. It wasn't a problem. While we were there, there were quite a few shark attacks in the State. There are certain times you are more at risk of being attacked by a shark - dawn and dusk being big ones. Also, don't wear a lot of jewelry - the flash of it mimics the flash of scales on fish.

Also, obviously, if you see a shark in the water, get out. (If you see a dolphin in the water, then there probably aren't sharks around.)

Also, keep in mind, you are more likely to be killed in a car crash, mugged in the streets, or, in this case, getting Montosuma's Revenge, than you are getting attacked by a shark.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Most people who get attacked by sharks are actually surfers, and the reason is, from below, their silhouette looks like a seal.

Also, I went to the International Shark Attack File website, and this is what they said - WORLDWIDE - there were 96 shark attacks in 2005. (62 were unprovoked - the others involved people fishing for them, etc) In 2006, they had 62 unprovoked attacks. (No figures for 07 or 08 were in the report I read).

Now, that might seem like a lot, but think about how many MILLIONS of people go to the beach around the world every day - and then multiply that by 365 - or, if it's a leapyear - 366.

Now, divide that number by the less than 100 people a year that are attacked... Honestly, swimming in the ocean is a pretty safe thing to do :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I saw something like this on MythBusters and it was a "busted" myth.
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 6:05 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.