Is there any reason to wait to get the cat neutered?

I have taken my kitten to the vet for kitten shots and he told me I can get him neutered when he is 4-5 months old. But he said he usually waits until they finish the series of kitten shots to do it. I want to just get it done with. The kitten is big enough, he will be 4 months old in a week but the vet won't do the surgery until he finishes the shots. So I called around and there is a low cost clinic that will do it now for $35. I want to just take him in and get it done but my husband is a little hesitant because he thinks there may be a reason our normal vet wants to wait. I asked the staff why he won't just do the surgery now and they just told me that's policy. Is there any reason to wait?

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pets

• Clinics in our area will spay and / or neuter an animal beginning at 6 WEEKS! The free spay/neuter clinic does the same. BUT it's true: the old the animal, the more likely it'll come out of the anesthesia.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 6:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• because of good standing. The older the cat it the better they will handle the anesthesia. A vet wil a reputation doesn't want to risk that by someones cat not waking up from anesthesia well when age could have helped.
    Anonymous

• Its just that my landlord really wants us to just get it done. I don't want him to get upset and say we have to get rid of the cat.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• 4 months isn't horrible. I personally would wait until 6. Get a statement form the vet saying that the cat is ___ months old nad the surgery is recommended at 6 months which is around ____ date.
    Anonymous

• Aide from the valid age issues already mentioned, the vaccines place a certain amount of stress on the body as it develops antibodies. They would be increased by adding anesthesia to the mix and your vet knows that.

Would you take the advice/prodding of your landlord if he was insisting you get your child's tonsils pulled? Is your landlord a vet? Does the clinic plan to keep you as a return customer and develop a patient relationship with your cat for the rest of it's life ... or just want the extra cash for a quick neuter? Most importantly, do you care more about your cat or your landlord?

It sounds like you have a great vet ~ one who puts the health of the animals they treat first. Those are hard to find these days so appreciate it and pay attention. 'Policy' generally has some good sound reasons behind it.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• the older the animal the better the handle the anesthesia; I would ask my landlord why he can't wait for a couple weeks I agree with Farmlady09
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I would take your vets advice and wait. You wouldn't want something to happen and then regret it later.
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Shelters do it a little earlier so they can place kittens in homes.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• yes, why would you bypass normal practices of your vet? He's been doing this a long time and knows thing you don't. If he hasn't explained his reasons, go ask him. But don't put kitty in a situation you aren't informed of simply because it's more convienent for YOU
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 22, 2011