Do you go through their things?

Your teens.......
Do you go through their things my mom would all the time when I started hanging around boys and when I got older like 14-16

Now I have a daughter i dont know if i would

HBU?

KColeman90

Asked by KColeman90 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Exactly, I will trust you..until you give me a reason not to.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 5:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I used to get SO upset that my parents would go through my things...and you know why?...because I had a TON of crap to hide. Weed. Condoms. Cigarettes. Letters.

After knowing how I was as a teen...oh I will be going through my kids' stuff for sure!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I did. I don't feel bad about it at all. They were living in my house and I was supporting them and I'm their mother...My choice my decision.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I gave my dd her privacy UNTIL she let me down and told me her first and last lie .(( I was trying to follow the fad at the time about giving your kids their right to privacy))..Then, the privacy was over.I learned a lesson too.
    If I felt a need to check on something, I did. I figure,....I have to do what I think is necessary to keep my kid making right & good decisions..not wrong decisions. If that means looking through things to help make sure she's on the right track then...that's part of my duty as a parent. Phooey on all this "give them their privacy stuff". They can have plenty of privacy when they live under their own roof. I don't think it will devastate their personality. Although today.........IDK, they might find something to call it and make it an illness.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes I go through their things. I've never found anything bad.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yes you do. You pay the bills you need to know what is going on in your house. Its our job to know what is going on. They have way to many resources now days and sometimes even if they dont think so we do need to be in their buisness.
    cluemein

Answer by cluemein at 2:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Yep I've gone through things as well, there is no "right to privacy" in my house if you're a minor and both my boys are well aware of that. I've never found anything horrible.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• To a point. But you also have to show trust unless they give you a reason not to trust and being a teenager is not a reason to not trust.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• yes... why not, its your perogative to make sure everything is ok with your child,and you guys on the same page about rules. establish the "no right to privacy" act from the beginning and there will be no hard feelings. just let them know they will be a parent someday and these are growing n learning days. besides some kids pull all kinds of stunts you never know about until they are grown up and tell it later. have daily talks no matter what

undercover snoop momma
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 12:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• yes I did... forgot to tell this one story... YES go through their things MOMMA. my daughter was attending the afterschool activity program at neighborhood park and had been engaging in wrting notes to one of the male staff. The female director of the program called me in to look at something she found in my daughter's bookbag. ya'll don't want to know what happened when I found out... I hit him up side his head so hard he say stars n stripes. even though his plan to coach her in the facility restroom failed, he got the super moma reality business. til this day the fellow never forgot me.

NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING TO DO A ROOM CHECK
    miamoma

Answer by miamoma at 12:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2011