Why does my son cry when I take a shower?

I take a shower after I put my 2 year old to bed. I turn on the baby monitor so that I can hear him still. For the past few months, if he's not fully asleep and hears the water running, he cries and begs me to not take a shower so I have to wait until he's asleep. Why does he do this and how can I help him?

lieamsmum

Asked by lieamsmum at 12:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is either afrade of you taking a shower, he doesnt like the sound. or he wants to be with you or he wants to take one. he tells you he dont want you to take a shower? let him know that everything is ok have him take a shower with you or daddy and let him know it is ok and there is nothing to be scared of. if it is too much to handle ask his pediatrician or your mother see if you were like that or his fathers mom see if he was like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• His father and I aren't together anymore. My mom said I was never like that and it's strange to her as well. I've tried having him in the shower with me, but he doesn't like it. For whatever reason, he's afraid of the shower and I guess he's afraid of what happens to me when I'm in it.
    lieamsmum

Answer by lieamsmum at 1:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• sit him on the floor while your in the shower or make him get in with you and explain to him its okay. he will eventually relize your okay in the shower and he will be okay
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• he is very manipulative. take your shower regardless of his begging/screaming
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 12, 2008