• In the Spotlight:

My 14 month old isn't saying much yet. About 3-5 words so far, what about your kiddos?

Kenna doesn't go to daycare, but I try to encourage her to talk ALL day long. Is she behind?

ShutterMama

Asked by ShutterMama at 12:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nope. i dont think so. i think you have to worry when they are like 2 and their not talking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• 17 months 25+ words
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:27 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My son is also 14 months old and he says about 10 words...hello, bye, move, stop, no, mom, mama(grandma) papa (grandpa) spongebob(lol) and a couple others. I think that when you have a young toddler make sure nobody talks to him/her like a baby. Talk like a normal adult and just practice sayings all day long.
    maleek_1007

Answer by maleek_1007 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I was told by the doctor, that you count a word the first time they say it. And they should have said 150 + words by age 1 and 200 + by age 2. If you are wondering, make a list of words you've heard her say and put it on your fridge or keep it on a notepad on your computer. Anytime you hear a new word like ball and only hear it the one time it counts as a new word. Every child is different and they usually don't start to worry until around the 2 year mark as long as other milestones are reached and they are trying to talk and hearing is fine. Check out the baby sites like babycenter dot com, where they have compiled together milestone charts and info.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 2:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• 20+ words put a tape recorder in her room of and have it play songs of you singing ur abcs numbers in english and spainsh if you know spainsh as well as animals and the sounds they make repeat yourself saying it and play it over and over to help her
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Don't worry. Remember that Albert Einstein didn't talk until age 6 and he couldn't do simple math. I don't think that anyone would say HE was underdeveloped. Sometimes the child just doesn't have anything to say. Like the old oatmeal joke. The 5 year old who had NEVER said a word came to breakfast and instead of oatmeal there was cold cereal. He said HEY wheres the oatmeal. Everyone was shocked and said Hey you can talk why didn't you do it before. Child says every thing was OK until now. Didn't need to talk. LOL  Don't be discouragedl

granmaw56

Answer by granmaw56 at 7:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My 26 month old still doesn't talk much, but he is learning every day. It's also difficult to understand what he's saying sometimes. If you're really worried, sepak to your doctor and maybe have his hearing checked. Mine got tubes this summer and the doctor told me that now that he has at least one good ear, to not worry so much,
    AmyC1215

Answer by AmyC1215 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• 14 mos is a little young to be looking for a speech delay. Three to 5 words is about right. All kids are different so the scales of normal vary a lot. My son is 2 1/2 (32 mos) and he is just now saying 2-3 word sentences. There are kids his age speaking in paragraphs. I listen to him talk and I ask him questions to engage him. Its not an understanding issue, just a annunciation issue. Hes got the smarts, but he can't seem to get it out. He probably qualifies for early intervention, but I didn't want to go there just yet. I think as long as hes making progress, hes good. Doc and I talked about it and he just told me that the minute I see a regression or no progress for a period of months, then he needs to be evaluated..Until then, let it go and let him progress on his own time. Its worked.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Well my son Joshua is 2 and a half years old and say like 100! But when he was 18 months-2 years he only said like 10 words( give or take a few words) However around 2 and a half he just started saying everything! My sisters son Ethan, at 1 and a half could speak in sentences and answer questions! I couldn't believe it! It not that Ethan is smarter then Joshua, because my son walked at 10 months old and Ethan didn't walk until he was 16 months old. It just their different. Talking was a big deal to Ethan. Moving and getting around was a big deal to Joshua.
    porterjoshua06

Answer by porterjoshua06 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• oh my goodness lots of people here are saying if they can not say much by age of 2 to be concerned, my kid is 2 now, and she still only says a few words, my doctor said some kids just do not talk much, and that I had to wait till she is 3 to be really concerned.
    StaceeLee

Answer by StaceeLee at 10:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2008