Pass around adoption cards...

What did you put on them? front & back?

Jctanner

Asked by Jctanner at 5:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Adoption

• Never heard of that, what it is?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• its basically a business card with info on it saying your wanting to adopt. You give some to your family an friends an ask them to pass them out to their friends an so on.
    Jctanner

Comment by Jctanner (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Wouldn't word of mouth be alittle more.....can't find the word here.....less tacky...

No I am not trying to me mean!
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• they actually aren't tacky, yes word of mouth is great but no not enough.
    Jctanner

Comment by Jctanner (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I think they can be tacky depending on how they're used. Are you going to hand them to strangers and young pregnant women; tacky, or, to people who know a woman that's said she's thinking of placing her child?
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I'm not going to give them to strangers, I'm giving them to my family and friends and our minister an people at church. That way they have our contact information if they were to meet a woman coming into the church seeking adoption. A lot of people through our church have meet their birth mothers that way.
    Jctanner

Comment by Jctanner (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I have to agree in that I find it a little tacky. If the congregation already knows you're wanting to adopt they will refer any pregnant women that wander in to your church in search of an adoptive mother to the minister who would already have your information. Realitives should also have your information already. When we adopted I couldn't imagine handing people a card which in my book says "Hey why don't you just give your kid to this couple." If you insist on it then talk to others in your church who have done it.

There have been a couple of people in our church who have adopted but they have all went thru Children's Services. Took less then a year. Two were older children and one was a baby who was adopted by a single mom. The single mom already has another placement in her home of a newborn.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I dont see anything wrong with pass around cards, there are people who have been very successful. I personally am responsible for 2 word of mouth adoptions where I knew someone who knew someone and connected them.

Good Luck
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 12:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I haven't seen any pass around cards before, but, a picture of you and your husband together might be nice. Do you plan to be a SAHM? You could say what you and your husband do for a living. I wouldn't go very far talking about your house or anything--you don't want this to be an invitation to a robbery! Cards in your situation would be very useful, particularly if you think your church members will be proactive with them. I wish you the best!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I imagine that pass around cards are used less and less with Twitter and Facebook. You can reach a lot more people by simply tagging friends in a photo of your "profile". That would allow all of your friend's friends to know you are adopting etc. It may be even more effective. I would also have a message in the signature line of any email I sent. Just anything to get the word around.

I would just be careful not to leave the cards with anyone who you think might be pregnant. There was some scandal that a woman left one when paying a bill in a resturant and the waitress turned out to be pregnant and was highly offended. The woman left them everywhere and did not mean to direct it at the waitress, but everyone got all excited and offended.
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 2:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2011