How old was your baby when you took the pacifier away?

And how painful was it? I didn't have to go through this with my first because she never took the paci to begin with...but my 10 month old won't sleep with out it and her pediatrician said to start taking it away now so she won't need it at all when she turns one. I have no idea how to get her to sleep with out it.

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I took my first son's away at 2.5 years and it was a nightmare. I did not want to go through that again, so I started weaning my second son at around 9 months. I started out with only letting him have it while sleeping, then after a month, started to get him to sleep without it. It was difficult at first, but it wasn't nearly as painful as it was with his big bro. There will be tears and frustration the first few days, but then they forget all about it.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• neither of my girls wanted a pacifer which worked out great because i dislike the things
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• JUST TAKE IT!!!! take it and don't look back and don't give in when she cries for it!!! do this now before she has an opinion and she will gain much more of one in two months
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 6:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My son was 1, it was hell for the first few nights, and he was one of those babies who only had it at nap and night. We eventually let him fall asleep with it, then would take it away once he was out. Two weeks, maybe, and he didn't need it any more.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• the older they get the harder it probably is to take it away.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• mine was 18 months... he just didn't want it no more
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 6:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My daughter didnt want anything to do with a paci until she was 4 -5 months old, then with in the next month or so she started teething and didnt want anything to do with them again. After that she never had one again.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Limited it to the crib at 12 months, my first was 2 when we took it away, my 4th was 20 months when he just lost interest in it completely on his own.

Answer by missanc at 7:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• With my 3 month old she thankfully already gave her's up she wants nothing to do with it. But with my 7 year old about a year or so we just magically "lost" them and told her we couldnt find them so instead she attached to her blanket.
    SarahLynn1985

Answer by SarahLynn1985 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My daughter was almost 3 and it was a nightmare.... She screamed and screamed and would spend most of the day looking for it. My mom started throwing them away any time she saw my daughter and I just kept replacing them.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2011