What kind of parent is that?

Do you think it's wrong for a parent to depend on daycare to teach their children everything??

LittlesMom549

Asked by LittlesMom549 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, just like its wrong for parents to think its the teachers job to teach their school age children everything. Parents should be doing the teaching
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• The things that my child would pick up at daycare would not be the things they would learn at home...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 6:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• that is just sad and wrong... it's our jobs as parents to teach our children although that daycare and school does help too to exceed more...
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 6:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I understand that some parents have to put their children in daycare so they can work, but they should be teaching them some things from home. I hate how some people think that daycare should be paid for by the state..Ugh!
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• my sitter has taught my children things I would never have time for. I reinforce what they learn there thru our playtime, but since they were at the sitter 8-9 hours a day, she has more teachable hours with them during the week than I do. When I get them I am playing with them, cooking dinner, doing laundry and doing family things, not always time for the basics of teaching.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• @Bubbie0809......when you have a babysitter it is so much different. They get more attention/one-on-one time, which is great to have. In a daycare setting, there are so many children and not enough teachers to focus on the individual needs of each student. Everything is done in groups, which isn't bad if you are the type of parent that will sit and do some things w/ your child if you have the time. But it really bugs me when you have these parents who work only part-time do not do anything productive at home and then sit there complaining their child doesn't do this and that.

Didn't mean to offend you Tracys2!!! I just hate lazy ppl!!!! It starts at home!!!!
    LittlesMom549

Comment by LittlesMom549 (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• No, I don't think it's wrong.

My kids aren't in daycare. Kids are in daycare a lot more than at home. When they are at home, they should be helping out around the house, playing with their parents, eating, etc. While I think it's nice if a parent points things out, like a certain flower or tree on a walk ("look at the pretty orange flower"), I have NO problem with parents not teaching letters and numbers and such. In fact, I'd be fine not worrying about "teaching" till kids are 4+. They learn through play. Play is the most important thing a child can do, and interact with other people. A little structure, healthy food, exercise and good behavior modeled, and you have everything they need before age 4-5.

I love the way parents and caregivers (daycare, church nursery, teachers) work together, everybody doing what they're best at, to raise healthy and happy children.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2011