Buy or dont buy?

I am a single soon to be mom on a severely tight budget. A friend suggested I buy the babys stuff on craigslist. I know nothing about craigslist and would like your advice. What would you buy or nor buy from there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I bought a breast pump on craigslist that works great and saved me $300.

I see nothing wrong with purchasing things for your children as long as you wash them before your child uses/wears them...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 6:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I buy as much as possible from the thrift shops. Saves a ton of money.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Well, just look for clean, near new items that you need for the baby. Then email them or call if a number is provided and if you feel like the phone conversation went well...meaning this person sounds legit then agree to meet in a public place and look over the item(s) if satisfied than make the transaction.

I have bought once and sold a couple of times on Craigslist and I have had a good experience with it.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I've been a mom for almost 30 years but I remember my about-to-be days very well. I was on a very tight budget too and bought way too many things before the baby was born ( the worst was the bathtub I just HAD to have. I used it once). Get the basics: a car seat (buy this new) some clothes (hand me downs are fine) and diapers then wait to see what you REALLY need after the baby gets here.
    LoriSnyder

Answer by LoriSnyder at 6:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• check thrift shops and such, anything you cab clean would be fine in my opinion. But I would not buy a used breast pump, sorry but I would find it yucky.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't.....Go and try to find some mom to mom sales by going on the internet of your area, or go and check out yard sales. I am havinmg a yard sale this weekend and I have TONS of baby clothes, shoes, baby play station (looks like a walker but its not). Where do u live?? Maybe I can send u some. Well I do have a baby girl, well shes 2 now. So I guess it would help if that is what u are having!! lol Ot try consignments shops.
    The Craigs List can be a bad idea simply cause u do not know what u will be getting for sure. For example, u want a crib. U buy it and it ends up being something else, or parts are missing ect.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• This is worst case and it is rare, but in the city I live, a man and wife went and met with a potiental salesmen or whatever and that person shot the guy killing him and narrowly missing the wife and the bad guy took their money and car and left. Good news, the guy did get caught. It has happened in other states as well, but not like this or as bad. Just saying be careful, u can be considered a better target cause u r prego.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Anyone remember the story of the Craigslist killer? It had to due with the adult section and call girls...but this guy was a nut job! no pun intended lol.
    Angeleyez08

Answer by Angeleyez08 at 6:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I love love love buying 2nd hand stuff!!!!
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 7:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i love thrift shops and twice a year in my city the MOMS (moms of multiples) have a consignment sale at a huge church in our area. I got everything from there back in April..i got a portacrib, a swing, a highchair, a car seat, and something else for like 100 dollars..definately look online for yard sales and such given by charities and moms..
    Heather021287

Answer by Heather021287 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2011