My dog!(what a pain in the ass) he needs to stop.!

Ever since he was attacked by a huge dog. He has been being mean to other dogs,he barks and growls at them for no reason at all. And when they come close he nips at them. I yell at my dog to stop, I pull him away from the other dogs, He just won't stoip . what can I do.? advice please. He was never like this before he was attacked.

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 6:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pets

• He needs special help. He was traumatized. You will have to understand his fears to help him.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• wouldnt you be mean if you got attack,i feel like he will com eout of it when he learns every dog not gonna attack him.
    jbaby7162000

Answer by jbaby7162000 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Try going on an animal behavior site. You can also call an animal behavior school just to ask questions. Yelling at him won't work because he is acting out of fear. It's almost like he's feeling that he'll strike first so that he won't be attacked again. Good Luck!
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Your dog has been traumatized. Yelling at him and punishing him for trying to protect himself is NOT going to work. He needs some behavior retraining to help him get over this fear and trauma.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• He isn't being mean, he's terrified. You need to talk to a trainer (as has been mentioned), but you also need to STOP dragging him out and around other dogs for the time being. You might need to stop doing that permanently. Sooner or later he will be attacked again, or may harm a smaller dog or possibly a human ~ and at that point he will be punished with death because he is afraid. That's not right!

If it were your child who was attacked and now was afraid you would understand. Your dog can't speak, and you aren't listening to his body language. He is trying to tell you ~ you need to pay attention. Help him!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You need to start paying attention to yourself when you have your dog and you see another dog. If you get tense as soon as you see another dog your dog picks up on that tension and reacts accordingly. Dogs also react to your body language and if your dog see that you are not relaxed he again will react. Keep a lose leash take treats with you and when you see a dog at a distance give your dog treats and then maybe go in a differant direction until your dog is more comfortable. When you see your dog tensing or he starts barking or growling the worst thing you can do is yell. That only adds fuel to the fire. If I was you I would hire a behaviorist to help you with this.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• you may want to take him to the vet and make sure everything is OK with him
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• thank you girls, your right, maybe I should try to be a little more understanding, and get a trainer or talk to the vet,for some help. I won't be able to do this alone. again thank you all so very much.
    incarnita

Comment by incarnita (original poster) at 8:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• wow girl.. pain in the ass is what you call the poor thing who was attacked by another dog! Put the shoes on the other feet. If you were being pulled around by a leash being made to go around other dogs which he doesn't trust at all especially right now because of the attack! Honey you need to understand he has been traumatized big time.  He should be part of your family and treated like so.  Not a pain in the ass!  I know children can be called that also but we wouldn't dare do that online cause we'd get into trouble. Your dog has emotions and he needs you to show understanding and love at a time like this.  Keep him away from the other dogs.  Eventually he'll stop but for now he doesn't need to be made to be around other dogs.  Walk him in a different direction and talk to him sweet and show him  understanding.   

tlcawley

Answer by tlcawley at 10:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• It will be o.k. im sure you love your dog.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2011