Would you ever consider having a microchip implanted in your child, either for security or surveillance reasons? Why or why not?

I am reading about a lot of programs out there pushing for parents to start chipping their kids. In case they get lost, or just to track them in general. The technology is already being implemented in pets. Is this something you would consider for your child, or is this way over the line no matter what the benefits? What do you think?

DominaLiberty

Asked by DominaLiberty at 1:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• No, that's just freaky...My neighbors had a dog for over a year that these people tracked down because it had that chip...My neighbor's found the dog. My question is why did it take a year? I mean obviously it worked because they were states away which is odd because no one can figure out how the dog got all the way over here...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• LOL! Me and DH were just talking about this the other night! I said I was going to get our kids cell phones that I could track them with and he asked me when I was going to get them chipped LMAO! Our old dog had a chip in her because she got picked up by the pound and they automatically chip them before you can 'bail' them out of doggy jail. I don't think I could ever really chip my kids, though. It's a nice thought so I would always know where they are, but I don't think they'd like that to much LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• 10:09 anon... the chip doesn't "work" unless you take the animal to a Humane Society or vet's office to have it scanned. It's not a GPS chip.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• oh my god!!
    that would be so horrible for your child
    they would hate you for the rest of you life for doing that
    just imagine now you would feel is you had been chipped
    or even your phone
    thats such an invation of privacy!!!
    i would never do that to my kids
    thats just evil
    even if you dont trust them!
    Chazzms

Answer by Chazzms at 6:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i don't think that it's a good idea.
    chipping is something for losing your dog, it shouldn't be used for children!
    that's freaky and wrong.
    when they get older it's just something they can say is an invasion of your privacy.
    courtneysmith

Answer by courtneysmith at 6:37 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i think it would be a good idea...you always hear of people getting kidnapped, raped, dissapearing, etc. and this way i would always know that my kids are safe...and they would have the choice to get it removed later if they wanted to
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• H@## No......................................................
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Have you seen the list of missing and abducted children out there? Have you put yourself in that parents place? Privacy my ass...if I though for one minute that I could prevent a molester or murderer get away with my child I would do it in a heartbeat! Have it taken out when they are on their own...I would use this for safety reasons only not to use and abuse it. Just take a moment to think how you would feel getting that phone call that your kid is missing. Nothing is worth that to me. It is not about invading privacy it is about keeping them safe! Plus I am old school...if you are under my roof you are my property and I will keep tabs on you when ever and where ever the hell I want! For your safety or my amusement!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• no way! maybe a tracking device in their shoe, but never in their bodies.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 8:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2008