Can they keep my kindergarden daughter back?

Kindergarden is not a requirement in NJ but they do offer it for those who want it. My daughter is almost finish with kindergarden and I just received a letter from the school stating that she can stay back in kindergarden because she was 12 days absent of this school year.

My daughter has been doing great academically. I have never had the teacher say she needed any help with any subjects. My daughter also went to pre-school before Kindergarden so she had a head start.

Any advise is appreciated

LeddyA

Asked by LeddyA at 7:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like they are offering you the choice, based on her attendance (not her scholastic record). If you feel she has adjusted well, don't hold her back.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No, if it's not a requirement, theres absolutly no reason she should have to stay. ESPECIALLY if shes doing great. So what if she missed 12 days of school? I'm sure it wasnt just for nothing. That was a dumb letter they sent to you. If your babygirl is bright, let her shine. :)
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• If your teacher was happy with her, and she was happy in school, I don't see why you can't send her to first. The way you explained it, it sounds like you have the option either way, and I'd let them know she is ready for 1st grade. You don't want any confusion about it!

They should have warned you before now about the attendance issue. You should be notified when absences become a problem. What will happen if the same thing happens in 1st or 2nd grade, and they won't let her move ahead?
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I don't think they CAN. I think it's a suggestion. Have you called the school? I'm really not sure, but as long as it's not required, I don't think they can hold her back.
    Tink05215

Answer by Tink05215 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• 12 days absent is not a reason for someone to repeat a grade. I would call the school and find out what is really going on. Maybe the letter went out in error.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• They can not do that. You need to look into that so she is not held back.
    othella

Answer by othella at 7:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• to me it sounds like as well that they offer it, maybe due to the 12 days she qualified of doing kindergarten over, not that she has to.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 7:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• sounds like they r offering it to me =)
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 7:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I believe they can recommend it. If you respect the teacher's opinion, you should consider it.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Really? its not a requirement? I thought kindergarten was everywhere but not preschool?
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2011