Is pregnancy a disability

Is it just me or do some people act or get treated like they're disabled while pregnant? Like my sister had an issue with me carrying a laundry basket up 2 sets of stairs while pregnant. Then when i went back to work waiting tables, the other waitresses and bus boys didn't want me helping clear the tables because the plates might be to heavy and they were afraid i'd hurt myself or the baby. Honestly, what healthy pregnant woman has been hurt by clearing a table? There's other things people always nag that you shouldn't do just because your pregnant. Do they realize it's just pregnancy and not a disability? But at the same time you have some women who won't do anything for themself because "I'm pregnant, i can't do that"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• If it was a disability then I could have been getting a disability check for 9 months each time I had my boys! That would have been GREAT! lol

I understand where your coming from...people sometimes seem to be over protective of a woman who is pregnant but it can be very annoying at times.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I have the same mindset as you...IM PREGNANT NOT BROKEN!!!
    I admit I do have to recognize my bodies limits now but I am still capable of doing regular everyday things
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 1:13 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I never used my pregnancies as an excuse to get out of anything, I worked until I was 7 months the first time, I did yoga and exercised too... It's nice to have people doting on you sometimes... I just loved giving people that independent woman smile and saying "I got this" In some cultures the woman works hard physical labor the entire pregnancy, because laziness is thought to make the baby weak... It's just up to you... People are different everywhere you go...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i worked until i had my baby..i worked in a child xare center and was cleaning like crazy and running after 1 year olds for 8hours a day.........
    nesamama

Answer by nesamama at 1:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Legally it's treated as a disability (when you take pregnancy leave in some states you're able to get disability pay).

For some moms, even small things *can* be a problem. I was on my feet in the kitchen for about 30 minutes after my amnio and it caused me a problem that night...I was scared to death when the fluid started leaking! Everything turned out fine but I learned a lesson. When the doc says "off your feet" the doc MEANS it!

I know it can be irritating getting treated like a glass figurine. But they do mean well.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:25 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• No wonder some mom's gain like a ton of weight. lol. There's your answer! Either they use it as an excuse not to do anything or someone else does for them!
    Cleaning a table, wth?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I think it is sweet they are concerned. You are helples but geez try being thankful you have people who are concerned instead of bitching about it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I mean you aren't helpless****
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I think it depends on the pregnancy. If you are considered high risk, then by all means you should listen to your doctor, but other than that you should be able to do ALL of the things you were doing before you conceived. I worked in an extremely high volume restaurant/night-club in Vegas when I was preggo and was there until 2 weeks before I delivered. I carried 50 lb trays and such...no exageration. Some people just want the attention I guess!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I think it is great that people are so concerned about your well being. That doesn't mean that you can't do anything, or that you have an excuse to be lazy, but people being thoughtful is nice in the grand scheme of things.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 2:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2008