What do you do?

I know newborns love being held. I'm holding my 3 week old now. But every time i put her down she cries. With my 1st, I could hold her more, but its hard to take care of a 2 1/2 year old, cook, clean & hold a baby all day. I've tried slings & carriers, but I have scoliosis & they hurt my back. I hate hearing the baby cry, but I don't know what to do. What do y'all do with more than 1 kid?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 7:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Used a moby wrap, which really is the best wrap I found for weight distribution so it didn't bother my back. Sometimes while cooking I'd put the baby swing in the kitchen so she could see me and she wouldn't be as upset. Good luck.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Have you tried a bouncy seat or a swing? Most babies prefer one over the other, and they may not always take it, but they might take it sometimes.
    Have you tried the Ergo Baby carrier? I know you said you've tried carriers, and with the scoliosis, that's very limiting, but this one might be the best in your situation, if one will work at all.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• she sounds a little spoiled. when you put her down let her cry, she will stop being so dependent on you holding her which will play out well for you in the long run
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Being held before bed, or consoled in momma's arms is great, but if you're holding her all the time it'll only hold her back. Does she sleep while you're holding her or in a bassinet/crib? I don't know if this will help because all babies are different, but I have an almost 5 week old baby girl and a 2 1/2 year old son. Here is her schedule that I've been doing:

Nurse on one side, burp
    Awake time - tummy time (anywhere from 5-15mins), some time in her bouncy/vibrating chair where we talk to her, then I change her diaper
    Nurse on the other side, burp
    Then I hold her with her blanket until she's sleepy enough to lay down (usually only takes like 10mins)
    2-3hr nap and then we repeat

See, she's not being held all day, but she's getting a lot of attention still. This way I can still take care of my son's needs as well when she's either in her chair or sleeping. The rest of the time I just include him with whatever I'm doing
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• oh hun, i feel your pain. at one point i was taking care of a 3 year old, 13 month old and newborn. now they are 4, 2 and 1 and those days seem so far away and much less stressful now than they really were. i know it is a challenge now, but it truly does get easier. i think what saved my life was having the playpen set up in the area we spent the most time, with dangley sheep for her to stare at, and also the swing and bouncer.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• She's so little.. of course you want to hold her and do everything like supermom... try to give yourself a break using a swing or bundling her really tight first, then put her in the swing on HIGH and it should comfort her.
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 9:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011