Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Visitation and Child support

I have 2 kids ages 81/2 & 6 1/2..from a guy i was dating, he saw the oldest maybe 5 times and never saw the 2nd. So he has never been there they do not know who it is. The court has ordered him to pay child support, but I do not want him to be involved in my kids i think that that will mess them up mentally. Does ha have the Right to see them after all these years if he pays child support??

Answer Question
Janet T.

Asked by Janet T. at 7:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Relationships

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Yes, he does. He can also see them if he doesn't pay child support. If he is their father and has not given up his rights, he can see them.

    Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • See the thing is HE was the one who said " i am not ready i don't want one why do i want two"..So in reality i never told him he couldn't. But know that they are older.. I am just so confused i dont want to hurt my children
    Janet T.

    Comment by Janet T. (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • It really doesn't matter what he said. Do you have a parenting plan? Do you have a court order indicating how much visitation he gets? If not, and he's just not interested in seeing the children, but now decides he wants to, you should go back to court to get an order for parenting time and/or custody; depending on what you have now. At least where I live, no one parent has rights over the child, as far as custody, until an order is issued.

    Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:24 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • He has the right to see them whether he pays child support or not.

    Answer by missanc at 7:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • he will always have a right to see them unless he's abusive or signs his rights away. however, until he goes to court for visitation/custody you are in control of how frequent the visits are. you are not obligated to let him see them until a court says otherwise, just know it won't look good on your part if he can ever document that you refused to let him see them.

    Answer by tnm786 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • I have been going to court since 11/2006 and he has never gone for the DNA TEST. =/ .. I haven't talked/ seen him since 2003 so the court is tracking him down they found him and he doesn't go to the court dates. Last DNA test was 12/2009 hes not going so im not the bad guy here.. i never said he could be with them he chose out
    Janet T.

    Comment by Janet T. (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • couldn't*
    Janet T.

    Comment by Janet T. (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • trust me, you don't have to explain anything to me i am fully versed in dealing with dead-beat dads. i'm just saying if he expresses that he wants to see them, be careful how you handle that.

    Answer by tnm786 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • They issued a court order for child support without a DNA test? Is he on the birth certificate? No one said you were the bad guy, you asked if he has the right to see him and he does, regardless of paying child support. Since you've been going to court for 5 years, what orders do you have in place for custody and parenting time?

    Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

  • The court if for the DNA to determine child support.. He is not on the birth certificate. He wasn't there for neither one of their births, I just feel that they are going to say that it was me.. But in fact all these years its been him. I don't know what to do.. I if i had to choose child support and visitation .. prefer no money and not to have him in my life I have raised them with out a single penny from him they think their stepfather is their read dad. .this is just so frustrating. and i have lived in the same place for 11 years so he knows where we live. so i dont know anymore
    Janet T.

    Comment by Janet T. (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.