My four year old eats his shrits what could this be he seems slower than the reat of my kids.

He doesn't talk well refuses to dress himself and he is mean he will pick at you until you want to cry.I just need to know if anyone has any idea's.

mandyandthree

Asked by mandyandthree at 1:13 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you talked to your Pediatrician and has he been evaluated? If not, that should be your first step in finding out if something may be wrong. I wish you the best.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:17 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• he might be sucking on his shirt for comfurt. one of my boys does this with there blanket to get to sleep. As far as the slow part...umm..kids learn at diff rates and learn diff ways. he might be getting tought in a way that it dont reister....other then that have his doc look at him if your really worried
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I would suggest having your son evaluated by either his pediatrician or the Early Intervention team in your school district. My cousin did the same -- chewing on his clothing - and was later diagnosed with ADHD. He is great now - married, a father - and no longer chews on his shirts, but it took some counseling to get him there.
    Nebraskaoma

Answer by Nebraskaoma at 1:00 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Shirt chewing is a nervous tick. It's really no big deal, just annoying =) However, it you're concerned with his overall development, talk to the pediatrician. Early intervention is so important when a child is developmentally delayed, no matter what the diagnoses may be. So make an appointment as soon as possible, and don't hold back your concerns. I'm sure he'll be just fine!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 2:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008