Extreme Pain during nursing.

I am having awful pain during nursing. Baby is 5 months old. This has been going on since 2 months old. It is not thrush, we we're tested for that. During nursing it hurts. After, it looks like someone took a cheese grater to my nipples. They get all white and there is sometimes dead skin. I'm pretty sure it is a latch problem. He always seem to slide off the aereola and sucks on just the tip. I think his upper frenulum is too long and that's preventing a good latch. My question is, Is it possible to correct this problem at this point or is he too old? I really don't want to give up breastfeeding yet.

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 1:21 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When he latches on, the second that he slips and it becomes uncomfortable, take the boob away and let him re-latch. Wash rinse and repeat until he "gets it".

Another option is pumping and bottle feeding.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Kudos to you for hanging in there this long with extreme pain. I would agree it is a latching problem. That was my first thought before I read through your whole post. Is it still possible to see a Lactation specialist at this point? If so, I would definitely do that.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• A *long* frenulum? Usually nursing problems are from SHORT ones that need clipping. But yes, the problems are fixable. Please see a lactation consultant.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:27 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• We moved to Oklahoma shortly after he was born. I saw the lactation consultant at the hospital before we left. We don't have insurance right now, so I can't see one here and paying out of pocket is not an option.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:27 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I might be using the wrong word. The piece of skin that connects the upper lip to the gums is what I mean. It comes all the way down and I think it's preventing his lip from flaring out the way it's supposed to.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Find your local LLL or WIC (women infants and children) and they have free LCs
    Anya0409

Answer by Anya0409 at 1:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• If you qualify for WIC, or maybe even if you don't, I'm not sure, they have lactation consultants you can see. I'd check with your local WIC office. They will most likely help, as they are extremely pro-breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• my son has that with the skin connecting to the gum thing. and i didnt have a problem until now he turns 9 months next wk. but my nipples are really sore and sensitive due to me being pregnant.
    marine_wife_07

Answer by marine_wife_07 at 3:00 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i ment how its longer than its supposed to be . but my nipple hurts like hell and its just on one breast and im trying not to give up especially since his formula is expensive. and ive gone this far .
    marine_wife_07

Answer by marine_wife_07 at 3:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I'd check your local hospitals as well for a LC. There are many free lactation support groups with a LC right there to offer assistance. I needed to go after my 3rd child as he was like a vacuum cleaner, sucking strong before he even got near you. Lots of breast cream is a must as well. Lansinoh Brand Lanolin cream worked best for me.
    whitmermom96

Answer by whitmermom96 at 7:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2008