I can't believe I'm asking this, but I didn't have this problem with my kids. My Grand daughter is almost 20 Months old and still only says "mama, dada, titi, papi and gamma" Shouldn't she be saying more, and forming sentences?

18 Month old, When should they talk in sentences, My Grand daughter only says a few words

Mom4Gma2

Asked by Mom4Gma2 at 6:21 AM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• By the time my daughter was 18 months she was forming short sentences. She may just be a late bloomer. Does she have an older sibling that does all the answering for her which would keep her from saying more? Give her some time. Before you know it she may be talking more than you care to hear....lol
    jensmom1989

Answer by jensmom1989 at 7:29 AM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Children at this age completely develop at different times and most "round off" by the time they're 4 or 5 years old. Meaning, your granddaughter could not speak a WORD right now and then by the time she's 4-5 be caught up with everyone else. It says nothing about her abilities. That being sad, the only thing that is "suggested" is for them to be able to say one word by age 1 and to be able to put two words together by age 2. My son is 20m old and currently says quite a few things, but he didn't start saying much of ANYTHING until last month. That goes to show that one month can be a huge time frame for a child that age, a lot can happen!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 12:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• She's doing great! Read to her. Read the words, and if she wants to skip the page, let her... Let her help choose the book and if she wants to linger on a page, tell her, "Here's a tree. See it's green leaves."
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• My son will be 2 July 25 & he babbles long sentences buthe only says a few words. His doctor said it was fine! every child grows differently & he said not to worry till 3
    aiden1337

Answer by aiden1337 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• The dr say that they should be stringing together at least 2 words by the age of 2. She may just be a lil slow at mastering the art of talking!! If you are concerned, speak with her dr or check into a local early intervention program and check about speech therapy!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• My dd is the same way! I think the reason my dd does not talk much is because she was taught sigh language from a young age and since she has been able to get what she wants by signing she has not found a need to talk any more! She babbles conversation but other than that she only says a few words! We are trying to work with her and when we tell her to say something we work on it we break the word down for her. I'm not worried I know she will get in in time! Your GD will too! Don't worry!
    hmr.jenkins

Answer by hmr.jenkins at 1:01 PM on Jul. 30, 2008

• my oldest was almost 3 bc he started talking good,,,,,but then again he did everything late,and there was nothing wrong with him,the doc's just said ,well hes just gonna take his time with everything,he is in no rush,lol,,,,well now,omg u cant slow him down and he is 13,lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Sep. 4, 2008