• In the Spotlight:

my son was breastfed until i got a bad case of food poisoning and now he's on formula and he's got really bad constipation, i feel absolutely horrible, but i wanna know what i can do to make it easier for him

my son is four months old and was breastfed until sunday the 30th of november i still tried to breastfeed him after that but he'd get maybe one feeding if that out of me. so he's on formula now (enfamil) and he's got really bad constipation. any way i can possibly help him?

socalbabymama

Asked by socalbabymama at 1:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you still have any milk? If you do, try pumping and mixing with the formula. BM is a natural laxative, so the sudden change to formula is expected to cause digestive problems.

If that is not an option, I think 4 months old is old enough to give a little juice (pear, white grape or apple) and it should help get things moving.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• You can re lactate. Your milk is not gone. Get a pump and build your supply up and keep putting him to the breast. It WILL increase your supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• karo syrup
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• prune jucie or Karo syrup
    Everettsmom163

Answer by Everettsmom163 at 4:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I agree with the pumping. You can for sure get your milk back and if not I have heard that if you talk with your doctor there is some kind of medication they can give you to get it going again. For constipation, try just giving him about 2 oz of water. If that doesn't work a tiny but of pear juice. It gets my son going every time. Good luck.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Like others said, a few drops of karo syrup mixed in with the formula works
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 9:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Put a small amount of caster oil or fish oil in the formula. Increas it a quarter of a teaspoon at a time until it helps, but wait 2 days before increasing it because sometimes it takes some kids longer to work. This is what my pediatrician told me to do and it worked.
    AshersMommy1201

Answer by AshersMommy1201 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• If you don't want to relactate(which seems like the best option here) please don't give Karo syrup. It's not reccomended for the same reason you shouldn't give babies honey. From Mayo clinic health site:

Giving infants corn (Karo) syrup for constipation isn't recommended.

It is true that corn syrup draws more fluid into the intestine, which makes stool less hard. But in excess, corn syrup can cause diarrhea in infants, resulting in water and electrolyte losses.

In the past, concern has been raised about whether corn syrup is a source of bacterial spores that produce Clostridium botulinum bacteria. These bacteria are typically harmless to older children and adults. But when ingested by an infant, these bacteria make a toxin that can cause infant botulism.

Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Enfamil's Gentle ease works great for constipation! good luck...
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Do NOT give a baby Karo Syrup or honey! You will be living in a hospital anywhere from 2 - 6 months because you gave your baby infant botulism. I know this because my son was hospitalized for botulism. He got it from a spore that came from disturbed soil. I recommend giving him either water or juice to help with the constipation. As for your milk production, taking fenugreek works for some people. It didn't help me when I was trying to increase my milk production. Mother's Milk Tea helped to increase my milk production. You can either pump or continue to nurse, if you are okay.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2008