Do you regret buying your kid(s) video games?

When I was growing up my brother would spend a lot of time playing Nintendo, then Playsatation, and then XBox. He still plays it when he has offtime. I have a little boy and I don't know if it would be wise to buy him a game console when he grows up.

Are there any benefits besides getting them out of your hair for a while?

Bugzmomma

Asked by Bugzmomma at 8:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son has learned a lot with video games. In fact, his teacher has even encouraged him to play educational video games to help him learn certain things that he was having difficulty with.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No, I use it as a reward for good behavior. I don't allow them to play very long though, for about 30 min.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• my kids really love their wii and also playing computer games on pbs kids, disney, starfall and nick jr. it really helps with hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. the computer games teach them computer skills as well as learning math, reading, etc. it also helps them to feel comfortable using a computer. they have a certain amount of time to play....i don't let them spend all of their free time on the computer. they still go outside and play or play with their other toys. i think it's really beneficial if they are playing appropriate games and they're not on it constantly. the wii is also something fun we do together as a family :D

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My oldest son, Joshua is 11 years old.He didn't have any video games until he was 9.I bought him a WII for christmas and only got him games with lots of movement. Just about 4 months ago, he finally got a PS3 (which he's been begging for forever,lol). I think that since I waited till he was a little older, he has more control over the amount of time he spends on there.He doesnt give me a hard time about turning it off at all. He will even opt to go play basketball or other things rather than sit and play PS3 all day (I wouldnt let him if he tried,lol). I don't regret it...I think he felt a little left out from all his friends too because they all had a system and he didn't. He would want to play outside and they would want to play video games...he sais they were stupid and thats all they want to do,lol. I think its a matter of the age and setting up reasonable rules.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I don't allow my kids to play video games. My husband is ADDICTED to his stupid xbox, and I refuse to allow my children to turn out like that.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• my 6 yr old has a wii and he loves the Micheal Jackson video and can dance pretty good because of it
    when it comes to picking games you have to be choosy because some are garbage and some are good and alot of fun
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My son is only 3, but had a seizure when he was born. I let him play some racing games on the PS2 because it helps him with dexterity and strength. This was the exception to my rule. Before he was born I swore he wouldn't get one until he was much older. Guess you never know.... I don't know what I'd do if I ever have another child....
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 8:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I think it helps with eye hand cordination I've never minded having video games around I do how ever regret having stopped playing them myself!!!so I play now... it really difficult too. I haven't played in years and so much has changed...but i'm working on it.
    traren

Answer by traren at 8:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i never regret getting the kids video games but we started out at the age of about 5 with the lepster ones that have great educational games...then moved up to the wii only because most games have to have active movement to play them...all the kids have ds lites now but they are mainly used in the car on long trips (over an hour) and i've never had to limit the amount of time ...they just arent that intersted.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2011