Why is my 10 yr old son so argumentive & have such an attitude? Is it me?

My son complains, disagrees, knows it all, back talks & argues with a fence post! He's a great kid, very sweet but this past yr he has become this way. Why do I have to take the trash out, why doesn't he have too(his 7 yo brother)? OMG, bout to just pull my hair out with his nonsense!

AprilKhloe04

Asked by AprilKhloe04 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• PUBERTY! My 10 year old is doing the same thing

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• How do I control this & have the best outcome from it?
    AprilKhloe04

Comment by AprilKhloe04 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Has anything happened that might cause the change in his attitude? he is going to be a teenager soon. That means that he will be more difficult. Its very hard on you, I know. But its natural for him to start asserting himself, and wanting to have things his way. Stay calm, and patiently remind him, that although you are aware that he is older, and smarter now, you are still the adult, and have the experience needed to make certain decisions. Like what chores he should do, and what chores his seven year old brother should do. Don't get bullied into him getting his way with this behavior. But maybe let him make more of his own decisions. Growing up should be a two way street. More responsibility and work, but also more freedom and entitlements.
    martine1778

Answer by martine1778 at 11:07 PM on Jun. 17, 2011