Manual Breast Pump? Are they worth it?

I am due in a few weeks and plan to breastfeed. I am a SAHM so we are on a fixed income but I was wondering if I skip the pricy electric pump for a manual one so I can get a stock going for the times I need him to use a bottle? What are your thoughts as well as which one is the best?

sweetpea_mama

Asked by sweetpea_mama at 8:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've had an electric double pump and I've had a manual pump.
    WIth my 2nd child I had the electric and honestly...for me...it made me overproduce breastmilk.I felt exhausted, like I was married to that stupid thing.Because its more of a forced pump than a gentle action.
    I would say that if your a sahm and you plan on nursing at the breast more often than bottle feeding breastmilk, just get a hand pump for occasional use, like when you leave the baby with a sitter or you are out shopping or in a restaraunt and don't want to nurse in public.
    Thats what I did with my 3rd and I'm still nursing him now,he's 8 months.If we were somewhere like my oldest son b-ball game, I ran to the restroom,used my hand pump to pump a quick bottle,it was quiet so it was discreet.It was fresh,didnt have to worry about heating it.I think the electric pumps are good if you plan on only bottle feeding bm or going back to work full time.good luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I tried several breast pumps and the best one by far was the one I rented from the hospital; the others did not even remotely compare and the manual one was the cheapest BUT worst of all.
    Anonymous

• It's worth it to get the double electric. It's much faster. I am a SAHM too but had to pump because I had so much milk with my second baby. It was great, she nursed and I was still able to store 3 bags of milk a day...my frozen milk lasted for months. Anyways, pumping is kind of a chore, the electric makes it much easier!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I tried one on my daughter Ali and it worked pretty well but its your choice if u want to or not.
    Macibear123

Answer by Macibear123 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• depends.. on my other pregnancies I only used a manual and it worked just fine for me.. so.. I am trying an electric this go around tho. you can probably get one free from the hospital talk to the lactation consultant and see if they'll get you one... you can always try!!
    Camilletnt

Answer by Camilletnt at 8:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• OH! and..I have the Single Medela brand hand pump, very comfortable,gentle and effective.I love it :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011