Why does my daughter keep saying that people will get her?

she keeps saying that people r gonna get her and they hit her with things shes been saying it 4 quite a while and shes scared wen she says it is this normal?

emma133

Asked by emma133 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, not normal. How old is she? Does she go to a daycare or pre school where another kid could be bullying her? Is there an adult in her life that could have told her these things will happen, or is harming her? You should do some research...
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 8:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• she is only 2 years old but she isnt in nursery yet and im worried. I hope nobody has told her things
    emma133

Comment by emma133 (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I agree with the first poster, it could be someone she attends child care with or any family members that may sit for her. I would try to pay close attention to when and where she says this...to help make the connection.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 8:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Has she been exposed to a violent movie or TV show? A 2 yr old can't understand that what is on TV isn't real.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• no we dont watch anything like that. we mostly got music or cbeebies on for her or shes playing out in the garden
    emma133

Comment by emma133 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Children that young don't get these ideas by themselves, it is something they have been introduced to. they aren't able to make up stuff yet. Pay close attention to ANY person that interacts with her. Older siblings or cousins may have thought they were playing and told her something, or maybe something more serious is going on. Next time she says this, say "who is going to get you?" ask why they are going to get her, etc. She may be able to give you more info than you think. If this continues, talk to her doctor, they can give you some advice and help.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i have asked her but she just keeps saying people she doesnt say any names or anything
    emma133

Comment by emma133 (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• not normal at all i would soo talk to the doctor that would worry me soo much
    mommyoflogan23

Answer by mommyoflogan23 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I disagree that children that age dont get ideas by themselves. My daughter use to say things all the time like that. For instance she would say "my mommy left me and its all my fault". She sure as hell didnt get that from me, tv or anyone else. I've been a stay at home mom since day one and barely have left her. When she would say this I reassured her that I was not leaving her and if I went to the store I made sure to tell her I'd be right back. She would also say "dont beat me" and she sure as hell didnt get that from tv, me, her dad or anyone else. We've barely ever left her with anyone when she was that age and we sure as hell did not beat her. We even told her that if she keeps saying that she could mommy and daddy in trouble, so she stopped. She was around 2/3 when she did that. She grew out of it. She is the most spoiled 4 year old ever. I say if she keeps doing it talk to her doctor for advice.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I agree with SMG. All kids are different. What's normal for some isn't normal for all. She probably has a very active imagination. My son was and still is obsessed with monsters. And it started out with the tickle monster. Pretty soon, he was scared of them and talked about how they were going to get him. She could have heard something somewhere, anywhere and her imagination got carried away. If you aren't comfortable with it, take her to your doctor and ask their opinion.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2011