How do you help a mentally challenged couple with family matters?

I have a friend who is friends with a couple. Said couple had 2 of their children taken away and recently had a newborn. Newborn is a preemie in the hosp. The other two are in foster care. 1 of the 2 in foster care has been ill and needs special care. The couple have IQ scores of His: 85 Her's: 66(they feel she is smarter then the scores). Anyway, the state the are in is AR. Is there anyone here that could steer us in the right direction to help this couple find a way to get their children back? They are yes mentally challenged you might say but they would never harm their children and they need to find a way to quit having to jump thru hoops and be harassed and get their kids back. I'll PM anyone that can help if needed. Lawyer Help would be GREAT, oh and they are in financial crisis. Medical issues to but that's another post.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• Can You BUMP ON here?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• How about if their friends took shifts helping them out with their kids? That might go over good with Social services. What was the reason they were taken away? And they should have been provided an attorney to defend them. I think.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I was going to pm you but your annon. So pm me I need to look up a case that hit the supreme court a while back that was sort of like this but unless they are presenting a danger to the children they can't take them away.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• this one might not help but do you see any simularities http://www.wvdhhr.org/oss/Abuse%20and%20Neglect%20Judicial%20Benchbook%20V1.00/cases/BillyJoeM.htm
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• i'm so sorry to hear this! I cannot offer any legal advise, but i know they will need to prove that they have a good support system to help raise the kids. this reminds me of the movie I Am Sam. so so sad. i'll pray for your friends and the children. my great aunt had an IQ of 75 and she was the most wonderful mother i've ever heard of. she could cook and clean better than me, but she couldn't even spell her own name. there is hope for them, but they will need all the help they can get.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 8:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2008