When is a bottle really too old?

My 1 year old still uses his bottle (w/milk) when he goes to sleep and i cant seem to shake him off of it. He uses a cup to drink everything else with during the day. I took him to see his doctor and she said he was ok and he will stop usein it eventually.

maleek_1007

Asked by maleek_1007 at 2:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can try to do sippy cup of milk before putting him to bed. Then if he insists on taking a bottle to bed only give him one with water. After a while he will realize that Mommy means business and he's only getting water in the bottle. Some kids have it for a security thing. It's important to get it away now, as soon as you can. Make the bottle less desirable and encourage the sippy. Give lots of praise for the sippy and try to ignore the bottle. Put it out of site out of mind and see if that works. Everyone in the family has to be on board to get this to work though. Good Luck. Hope you get him off it soon. There's so many things to consider like baby bottle tooth decay. I know of a little girl that had that happen and had to have 2 teeth pulled and like 4 repaired and she's 2 and a half. Not a good thing.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• at least yours said that mine was stricked when it came to this..and the sippy cup had to be a straw..lol* i thew there bottle away at 11 1/2 months.. the dog ate it so i refuse to buy more
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I snuck the bottle away from all my kids lol the night of their first birthday I put em to bed with a cup instead. By 2yrs they were over takin the cup to bed. I think three yrs is waaaaaaay to old.
    hotmama83227

Answer by hotmama83227 at 2:05 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• 1 year
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:54 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• never ever put my sons to bed with a bottle so this was never a problem but i think a year is to old for a bottle and once they reach 2 is just like wtf a bottle?
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 4:00 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I have a16 month old that only has water in his bottle if there wasn't alot going on I would have taken it away along time ago but I was going to wait till his dad came back next month. I would do the water thing it's better that your child doesn't have the milk sitting on there teeth
    Everettsmom163

Answer by Everettsmom163 at 4:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Honestly I remember my grandma let me have one til I was 7. I didn't get to take it anywhere. And I got ONE bottle of chocolate milk a day and that was it. It was a treat that I appreciated very much. But I think a year is enough.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:50 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• IM a bitch to my kids. The bottle is gone by 8 months and personally I think thats too old to have one. Thats just me though
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 6:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Doctors tell u not have cups or bottles in bed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• give the bottle to santa and tell him he gets a cup. Santa thinks he is a big boy now and can use a cup he doesn't need a bottle. We gave ours to the easter bunny when i son was 11 months old. and don't turn back tell him no the bottle went to another kid who needed it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2008