Im on a very tight budget for the next month on food.. Im wondering If I should focus my money on Protien for my son or FRUIT AND VEGGIES?

? I can always fill him up with pasta bread and rice.. AND stay away from the protien and focus on fruit and veggies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• When I am on an ultra tight budget I do mostly pasta, maybe with ground beef, chicken, but mostly pasta. I use frozen veggies.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Protien will fill you up more than fruits and veggies. For my personal choices I would go with more protein and less fresh fruits and veggies to cut back on expenses for the week.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Beans are really good, inexpensive protein . . will he eat garbonzos, pintos, or black beans?

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Your right beans are good protien that are cheap.. and bagels are cheap filling and have protien..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Stay away from the cheap carbs like white bread, white rice, white bagels, etc - they may be filling but they turn to sugar in a hurry in the body and make it crave more sugar and also make a person feel hungrier faster. I'd focus on keep a well-balanced diet - nearly equal portions of complex carbs (whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole wheat bread), lean proteins, veggies, and fruits. Water to drink.
    Anonymous

• Look into Angel Food Ministries in your area. You may not have to give up anything!
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• frozen fruit and veggies will cost less and go the long hall. Mix in a little protein if possible.
    spidermonkey090

Answer by spidermonkey090 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• what's your budget? I don't think there's a reason to skimp on anything. Tuna is a cheap source of protein as are beans. Really, you could buy a bag of tiliapia(or insert fish here) and chicken breast along with canned or frozed veg and make a meal. Add some inexpensive brown rice and your almost there. A gallon of milk should top you off.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 11:04 PM on Jun. 15, 2011