I was wondering

If anyone knew who the first god/godess was in history? I know that there was religion before people wrote but which god/religions were the first? Is there any proof of this or just who wrote about their god/goddesses first?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 9:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure if there was a first.... From what I can tell, religion is said to have developed from some form of animism, where there were many different spirits and divinities... The Mother Goddess is one of the first "supreme" deities to have come into belief, though, from what I remember.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• The "Venus Figurines" seem to come up the most prominent in most of the books I own, but for brevity and ease of search, I found this snippet. "Among the first human images discovered are the "Venus figures," nude female figures having exaggerated sexual parts that date back to the Cro-Magnons of the Upper Paleolithic period between 35,000 and 10,000 BC." Here's the Link: http://www.themystica.com/mystica/articles/g/goddess_1_intro_and_history.html . Barbara G. Walkers book "The Women's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets" is a huge body of research about the Goddess/Gods and the many crossovers in stories.
    Salome909

Answer by Salome909 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• And Venus isn't really Venus as in the Roman goddess. That's just the name the archaeologists gave the figures when they found them. Whatever the name of the prehistoric goddess is, it's long since been lost.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You have to think about the fact that many cultures did not have written language so much of their religions were told orally... so there was no artifacts claiming of the gods/godesses before they were introduced to written language.

In my culture, it is through songs, stories, carvings, clothing etc that things like that were told.
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 10:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• The oldest known are the "venus" statues or fertility goddess, but the oldest one which was recorded was I believe are Shiva and Shakti previously known as teh sumerian dual ggod Uma and Aum
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• There is very early Archeological evidence of regligious figurines/ceremonies relating to burial, but there is no way to know what beliefs/gods/goddesses they associated with the figures or ceremonies. There is absolutely no way to know for sure what beliefs were in pre-literate societies.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• As the others have stated Archeological evidence shows us that a Goddess was first, but her name, if she had one, has been lost to time...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• In written history, the first named deities would probably be those of ancient Sumeria (where an alphabet originated), of which Inanna was the most prominent. But really, each developing culture likely had their own "first gods" which developed relatively independently, though along common themes.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 1:32 PM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Thanks ladies.
    whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2011