How do I discipline an autistic 5 year old?

My son just graduated from preschool with flying colors. He has progressed so much, but lately I have noticed that he is becoming more and more defiant and will not listen. How do I handle this behavior when I am not sure if he understands why he is getting time-out, etc.

Nancycarol

Asked by Nancycarol at 9:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Im sorry I dont have an answer to this quetstion but I will give you a bump, for someone who is better equipt on this subject. :)
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i dont have any answers but i will text my friend who is the mom of an autistic son and try and get back with her advice if u havent gotten any answers =)
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 12:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would talk to his teacher, or doctor. There are specific things that work better with children with autism, but I'm no specialist.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:25 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I would talk with an autistic support group about this. There are some on here.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Sorry I dont have any answers but heres a bump to hope you get the answers you need!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 1:16 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I am not sure, but I would definitely seek advice of experienced parents to children with autism. There are a lot of forums and in person support groups out there!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:48 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• just be firm with him
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2011

• Do you have a team of therapists that he works with? If so I would ask them.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:25 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I don't know but her is a bump
    JHanc968

Answer by JHanc968 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I find with my kids on the spectrum to give a warning after I have made good eye contact. Then when they do it again I say it again and then take away something (TV, video games, toy, etc.) They scream a cry but I do not give in. My daughter is 9 now and is learning. My son is 6 and seems not to get what will happen even though I am pretty consistent. It is important to not to give in. I will count to 3 when he is being defiant and at 3 I take away something. At one point I had to take away all electronics and use them as rewards. But that was with my oldest awhile ago. Part of this is just age, and some is autism.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 11:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2011