Did you drink castor oil to induce?

If so, please explain why? I really don't understand it. I am not trying to be mean but I just can't figure out why you would endanger your baby like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i tried it because my husband was leaving for Iraq in 9 days and i wanted him to see his daughter before he deployed. i also had my membranes stripped the same day and my water broke the next morning....
    julie.f

Answer by julie.f at 9:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I haven't but all I have heard is that it really only works if your body is ready in which case you don't really need it. I heard it just makes you really sick. My aunt tried it and she did go into labor and delivered a healthy baby. But she also was horrified because the side effects of it kicked in and she was pushing. Get my drift. LOL I am cool just letting babies come when they are ready.
    sweetpea_mama

Answer by sweetpea_mama at 9:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Oh no way. Nasty and dangerous.
    Anonymous

• hell no.I wanted labor and delivery to happen all by itself.I didn't want to try to control it---I let mother nature decide. LOL. That sounds silly but it is never a good idea to try to control these things. My 3rd baby was 10 days overdue and I was very uncomfortable but my baby's health was more important than my discomfort.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No, I had too much common sense to think ending a pregnancy that had lasted that long was going to kill me a few extra days.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I drank it and it worked for like 3hrs but then the contractions stopped and i wasnt that far dialated
    mysteve2011

Answer by mysteve2011 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I tried it. It didnt do anything for me.
    HollySebeck

Answer by HollySebeck at 9:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I thought about it but decided not too.
    maeliz624

Answer by maeliz624 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I used it twice and it was at the advice of my midwife and I did plenty of research before just jumping into it. There were no negative effects. I was over two weeks late with both of pregnancies and preferred the castor oil over a pitocin and medical induction. I made sure to stay hydrated and the baby and I were perfectly fine.
    Anonymous

• Well, a lot of women may not be fully aware of the risks.
    Many women will consent to optional-risky-unnecessary interventions (testing, ultrasounds, IVs, antibiotics, post-dates, vaginal exams, induction, etc) without Informed Consent...

To want to force baby out before baby/mom's body is ready for convenience is kind of common.
    The more we "normalize" these things (consider acceptable/common = okay) the greater the cycle is perpetuated.

And even when aware of risks, there tends to be so much dramatic hype about *not* intervening that (when weighing "risks") it doesn't seem so bad.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2011