Have you had to deal with your parents picking favorites and you are not the "chosen" one?

I am the middle of seven kids and have always felt lost in the crowd. My mom and dad have always preferred their other kids over me and it has become more and more obvious. I have always noticed it and starting when I was a teenager tried to become interested in the things they are to be able to spend more time with them. I have watched a lot of sports to try to connect with my dad, and have listened to countless hours of gossip from my mom. It has always felt like I am working to connect with them, but they don't care much about what is going on with me. I have been married for almost 5 years now and have moved on and focused on my own family now. But my husband noticed the way they treat me compared to my siblings and brought it up to me recently. Now I have been feeling really down about it and want to know how others in this situation have dealt with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• Yep. I have an older sister. She was the goddess of my parents life. She could do no wrong. I was 8 years old and and she was 13 and getting to hang out in her room making out with her bfs. YEAH our parents knew. It was common knowledge in my house that I was probably going to get pregnant and drop out of school and my sister would have a glorious life. Nope! I graduated with a 3.86 and my sister got knocked up at 19 and had to get married. My parents PAID for her to become a dental hygenisist and then when she changed her mind they paid for her to become an RN. They got mad when I asked them to help pay for 1/3 of my tuition to become a pastry chef, which I wrote out a contract to tell them I'd pay back. All the money for her school was a gift.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I've gotten over it. I have a husband who adores me, and a baby who needs me. I just tell myself she got all the attention and support because she wasn't capable or strong enough to do things on her own. I tell myself I was the child that is and was able to take care of herself and not need the help that was so willingly given to my sis.

And that's me up there. LOL I dunno how it got posted anon.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Oh up there I meant to say I was 8 and had to clean the whole kitchen with no help. I remember I broke a glass one time and I got spanked by my sis and mom.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Me and my sisters tease our brother and mother about how she favors him. It kind of breaks the ice so we can talk about it. Mom tells us that there is a different bond between a momma and her "boy"
    catgrrrl

Answer by catgrrrl at 4:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2008