How likely is it that DD is allergic to gold if I am but DH is not?

I am allergic to yellow gold. So is my dad. So when I got my ears pierced, I found out I was allergic, so I went with nickle. I want to get DD's ears pieced (she is 2). Should I just go with nickle? How likely is it that DD is allergic to yellow gold, too? (My mom was not, and neither is DH.)

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 9:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put a gold necklace or ring on her and see if she reacts.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:07 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I asked my daughters dr bout that because I am allergic to starch and penicillin and he told me that allergies are not genetic. You can always ask her dr before you decide to get her ears done about the allergy thing.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Actually, allergies ARE genetic. Identical twins are 40% more likely to share an allergy than not, and allergic parents are more likely to have allergic children and their allergies tend to be more severe than allergic children of non-allergic parents. In some cases, it's not the same allergy, though the tendency to be allergic is genetic.

Unlike other genetic traits, there is no hard and fast rule to how likely it is for your child to be allergic to a substance. For example, in my family, my father is allergic to codeine, but none of us kids are. My mother is allergic to penicillin, but none of us kids are. However, my father had a congenital lactose intolerance (we think a lactase deficiency), and pretty much all of us kids had it, too. Except, randomly, for my sister, who is lactose intolerant now, as an adult, but that's normal. It's a trial-and-error thing.
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• (cont.)
    I would go with the nickel, since she has to wear them for six or more weeks. After you're allowed to take them out, try a gold pair. If she reacts, at least you can take them out without compromising the holes. :)
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2011