What are you views on 'Baby Proofing'?

In my home the only baby proofed thing is my cupboards under my sink where my cleaners are. And that was just finally done as of today. (my son will be 1 year old on Saturday). As every child is different I believe that everyone needs to baby proof in their own way.
my cousin, who has never had children, but has 2 step children is constantly bashing mom's who baby proof, she claims that it is PLAIN LAZINESS! I keep telling her that she has no right to say anything since she has never had kids but she believes that "she does have kids" And I know that step kids are just as much "your" kids as if they were really your own I am not denying that, however she only has them a couple of days a week. she does not have them full time, she never has. She is constantly telling me how I am parenting in all the wrong ways, and when I say, "You can't say anything or tell me how to parent or give me parenting advise until you have your OWN children 100% of the time. ... Ugh.. sorry I just need to vent it is getting old.

CarlieJS

Asked by CarlieJS at 10:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• I baby proofed the basics, like the cabinets too. I just adjusted as I went. When LO started getting more curious I added things. I never got crazy and got a toilet lock and fridge lock though.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 10:16 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• We baby proofed the lazy way. We put up gates and only have our kid in the gated area. When we go to hotels, we bring stuff to make sure she doesn't pinch her fingers in the dressers and stick fingers in outlets. I'm too lazy to lock up the cleaning products and bathroom stuff so we just put up gates.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I agree that step-children can be just as much your own kids as your biological children, but raising them 100% full time is certainly different from only having them a couple of days a week. As for baby-proofing, we're pretty laid back about it and always have been because our kids are WATCHED 100% of their waking hours, minutes and seconds. But I don't think baby-proofing is lazy at all. It's just being SUPER careful. I say good on them for those who are more diligent than I. Regarding criticism of other parents for how they do things: that shows immaturity. Those of us who have been around a while know that everyone is on their own life journey, their own parenting journey. We can't know what another Mom has been through, where she is with her family, or where she wishes to go on her journey - it is not for us to judge or put them down. We should only ever stay out of each others' business or be there for support.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 10:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I did the same thing and turned down the hot water,, no burns,, but that was about it,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I just have a lock on my cabinet with the cleaning stuff and we put plugs in the outlets. That was about it. With my daughter we needed to block the stairs. We have an unfinished upstairs so we never go up there. The boys stayed away from the steps since we didn't use them but not my dd :)
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Also... We have tried hard to teach our son and not 'Baby Proof' too much. we keep doors shut to bedrooms and bathrooms which is pretty simple. I am home all day so he is watched 100% of the time. the only access he has is to his own room the living room and the kitchen. and when he is the kitchen I make sure I can see him or I am in the kitchen with him. But I am amazed how fast he can get into something he shouldn't be. he has opened the cupboards a couple of times but I always catch him tell him no and close them. He really never touched them again until a couple of days ago and it is like he is addicted to them. he got into it 3 times today while I was right there in the kitchen, and my kitchen is very small but even being 4 steps away can be very dangerous he managed to dump out comet 1 of the times and had I not been a split second from him that could have been very dangerous. that is why the cabinet locks went on today.
    CarlieJS

Comment by CarlieJS (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I dont think its wrong have or lazy to baby proof. If you are a full time parent you know that sometimes you have to take your eyes off of the kids every once in awhile. So its nice to have some proofing done especially with the cupboards where chemicals are. I dont think baby gates are lazy either. It helps keep the kids a safe area of the house while you clean and they have more room to move than if you put them in a play pen or crib.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• when i was pregnant w/ my first i got a lock for the cabinet w/ all the cleaners & outlet covers. then when my DD got old enough to open doors i got one of those doorknob covers that makes it really hard to open the door. everything else was keeping things out of reach and teaching her what she could & couldnt touch. i cant watch her every moment of every day & there are some things i just dont want to risk (poisoning, leaving the house).

i think theres a line...baby proof the super dangerous stuff, but teach your kids not to do the less dangerous stuff. if you baby proof too much they'll never learn but if you dont baby proof enough something easily preventable may hurt your kid.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• We have a lock on the fridge, bothroom and kitchen cabinets, they are never actually locked though. I put them up when I was doing home child care and even then I would only occasionally use them. There is a bin under the bathroom sink that has cleaners and such in it and it is pretty difficult to open. We have outlet plug things and our shelves are anchored to the wall. I had bought an alarm type thing for the front door because one of the kids was forever unlocking, opening and heading outside. We never did put it up though. We use gates also. I don't think baby proofing is lazy. I think there are some things that we parent's can use a hand with and if plugging an outlet helps then go for it.
    I commented to my sister and her husband that when their baby starts to move their shelves will be emptied and toppling over. His response was no he will learn. I agree kids learn but some things do need to be done for safety.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• We have to lock the pantry and the master bedroom, thats where we keep the medicine. I also have a baby gate on the deck stairs, this is more to keep the balls on the deck since the kids(3,4, and 9) know how to open it.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 2:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2011