Were your LO(s) jaundice?

My DD was

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 10:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of my children did, my oldest had to be under lights for a day and that was that but with my 3 month old she had to be under the lights for 2 days and have constant blood checks for it. The hospital had told me it's because with breastfeeding since you aint sure how much they are getting it's not flushing out all the toxins and such from their symptoms so fast like formula does. Also was told the majority of babies that are jaundiced are breastfed babies at the start.
    SarahLynn1985

Answer by SarahLynn1985 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My boys were. My 1st ds was early and in the nicu so he was under the lights. My 2nd ds was but not that bad. They just told me to lay him by a window so often during the day and he was fine. My dd they told me that she was going to be, had something to do with our blood types but she wasn't at all. The doctor was surprised.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 10:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• DD was, DS wasn't
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yep. Had to stay in the hospital for 3 days to keep baby under the lights. A friend of mine insisted on taking the portable lights home with her rather than stay, so I'll do that if it happens again...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:19 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• my DD was.. she had to stay for 2 extra days and then get the blood tests done constantly once we came home.. I took other moms advice and stuck her in indirect sun light.. I didn't know about the lamps you could take home until we were already released..
    but I believe the sunlight and lots of breastmilk helped her. :) and finally she went back to her normal color
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Nope. They ate terribly, to the point of failure to thrive, the first couple days, but somehow we avoided it
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• and I had no clue if had something to do with eating.. they never explained that to me.. if I would have known that I would have supplemented with formula just to get her healthy ... but I did my best with the nursing and finally I started producing enough for her :) and now here we are at 5 months and 1 weeks and still bf'ing :)
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I did NOT know that sarahlynn thanks for the info!!! :)
    Emmajosmommy

Comment by Emmajosmommy (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Jun. 16, 2011