A little confused

Ok so they say to count contractions from the beginning of one to the beginning of the next. How does that work? How can you tell how far apart they are if you start timing at the beginning of one to the beginning of the next and how long they last? That doesnt make sense to me. Do I keep the timer running for the whole of the first contraction then stop it at the beginning of the next and start it again? I never had to worry about that with my daughter because water broke before I even felt a contraction. Also does it hurt when the doctor has to break your water for you?

SMG1120

Asked by SMG1120 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You start the timer at the beginning of one and then stop it at the beginning of the next. Then you have how much time between them. Then you can time from the beginning of a few of them to make sure that they are consistent. I have never had a doctor break my water so I can't help you there.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• If your contraction starts at 8:00 and the next one is at 8:05, then they are 5 minutes apart. So now you start timing the next contraction at 8:05 and the one after that starts at 8:08, then they are 3 minutes apart. Does that help?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• You want to start off timing how far apart they are, from the beginning of one contraction to the beginning of the next. Then you'll want to also time how long they are. General rule of thumb is to go to the hospital when you're having contractions 5 minutes apart lasting about 1 minute each for at least 1 hour.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:09 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• If your contraction begins at 6:00:00 and ends at 6:00:45, and the next contraction begins at 6:08:00 and ends at 6:08:45
    then you will know the contractions are 8 minutes apart and 45 seconds long.

I think it's easier to look at a watch not start a timer.
    Right down the start time (hour, minute, seconds) and end time.

Water breaking without contractions is called PROM (prelabor rupture of membranes) and you will eventually feel contractions. It may be a few hours, a few days, a few weeks, but it will happen in time.

The water being broken artificially (AROM) Is not painful, no nerves in the sac, but has risks worth avoiding.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:25 AM on Jun. 16, 2011