I heard of people massaging their nipples daily before they deliver and start breastfeeding. Why do they do this?

campbellb3421

Asked by campbellb3421 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Superstition: That it will "toughen" up their nipples.

(Like massaging the perineum to prevent tearing, some folks have a hard time truly trusting nature/God has it all figured out.)

We don't need to prepare our bodies, we need to become aware of how to better work with them and to avoid issues, interventions, and complications so that we can ALLOW our bodies to do what they're already capable of.

:-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I totally agree with doulala. It's an unnecessary step that people take that they believe will help with breastfeeding, either to stimulate milk production or to toughen up the nipples, but over millions of years, the body has adapted to breastfeeding, and we don't need to take these steps, which can actually INTERFERE with breastfeeding. Best to let nature take its course.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Yeah, I was advised with my first to "prepare" for breastfeeding by rubbing my nipples with a washcloth, vigorously, as the time came near, but in retrospect I think my (male) doctor was just being a bit of a pervert. :P I've breastfed 6 kids now and it is not helpful or necessary to "prepare".
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No amount of massaging can prepare your nipples for the amount of suckling that your baby will do. The nipples are sore at first- any part of your body would be site if it was sucked on for hours a day, everyday. But nipples are strong! They toughen up and the discomfort vanishes after a few weeks:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2011