NOW I get all nervy and shaky?

I took my kids to the unheated pool in our apartment complex today. Within minutes of getting there my kids had shed their towels and sandals and headed for the frigid pool. I had just set down my keys and phone.

"Mom! Watch this!" kersplash. I look up to see my 4 year old take a running, fearless leap into the pool. She came up gasping and a little shocked at the temp. I call her to swim to the wall and she doesn't really move, just treading water.

Without much thought or hesitation I jump in after her. It's 4 feet deep here. I'm in my suit, sweatpants and sandals. One sandal fell off on impact with the water. I grabbed her and she was FINE.

For the next 30 minutes they play in the main pool and the little kiddy pool. When their lips are blue and they're shivering horribly I finally talk them into going back home and taking a warm bath. During the entire time they're playing I'm cool as a cucumber, watching them closely whenever they get into the big pool. As soon as we got home and I sat down I got all nervous and my hands were shaking so bad I couldn't type my own name.

It's now been almost 2 hours since and I'm still wound up and a little freaked out. I'm just glad this didn't phase my daughter at all. As soon as she was warm again she was already asking when we could go back.

I should add that she's been in pools since she was 8 months old and can swim in the heated pool where she takes lessons.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 10:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• What a Mother wont do for her kids!
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• I am a nervous mama too, but at least your daughter was treading water. She was probably just getting her bearings after the shock of cold. It is great that you watch them so carefully though. Not enough people do. Go have some warm milk, or chocolate, and read a magazine or something to help relax you. She is safe, so you can relax now! :)
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• @ Carrie, she was kinda yelping and screaming a little. I had even called to her and reminded her to swim for the wall but she wasn't hearing anything.

There was a summer when I was about 10 or so when we were camping and went "swimming" in a glacier fed stream. I fell in and came up gasping and struggling for air. She was doing the same thing in the pool that I did in that stream. I vowed years ago to do for my kids what was not done for me, and jumping in after her is one of those things.

@ Sarah, you got that right! :)
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2011