My SO is Church of Christ.I'm Methodist. I thought when we were first dating that if things worked out that we would go to church at either or. But I just can't get past the differences and he won't go to another church. We have our son and I want him to grow up in church.

They don't allow instruments in their church and they think that I'm going to hell b/c I'm not COC. He's never said it but apparently that's what he believes too. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• tell him he's a hypocrite!!!! if he thinks your not in the real religion then why is HE not going to "Marry only in the Lord"? as the Bible says....

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I'm not a dumb girl, but I do love him. I've had the argument every which way you could imagine. He's not gonna budge. Should I just go to his so we're in church?
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 4:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• you each go you your own church and take turns taking your son to each one then when he gets older he can make up his own mind which way he wants to go to.
    Theoneandonly

Answer by Theoneandonly at 4:19 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• But is that really good for a child or our family>? I dont think so, but I I guess it's better than not going at all.
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 4:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Jesus Christ, said: “Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth; I came to put, not peace, but a sword.” (Mt 10:32-40) Jesus’ ministry brought divisions, even within families (Lu 12:51-53)

So you need to ask yourself if Bible Truth is really important to you or not,and who has the real Truth? you? Him?, Both? Neither?
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 4:25 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• presonally i do think that its ok to expose your son to the two different religous allowing himself to choose either one or a different one when he is older. religion is a personal thing...its not to be forced on anyone...child or not. its something that each has to come to gropes with themselves.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I've never heard of COC people acting like that!! I went to a COC church when I was younger and even thought everyone KNEW I wasn't practicing christian and I only went because my mother made me.. they all still respected me because I was a good person. That doesn't sound like a very Christian-like church. Personally I think children should be exposed to lots of different religions. As shannon85 said, religion is a personal thing and I believe kids should be given the opportunity to be as active as they would like to be and choose what is right for them. Maybe he can go to church with you one week and your hubby the next? But I would be very careful about sending him to that COC church.. make sure you instill better values than they seem to have there.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• why not find another religion or another church that meets both your requirements that you guys can agree on. you can start by praying and searching out churches in your area and set rules to go by like say your find one church and maybe try to go to that church 2 or 3 times before ruling it out. do they have missionaries that can tell us more about their beliefs and do they fit or can we both agree on their beliefs. another rule could be that you talk with the leader of the church to feel out what kind of person is leading it. maybe make sure that you talk with members and get their feelings on what this church has done for them. nothing best then hearing it straight from the people who attend it to get the best idea of what the church stands for and how blessed they are from. i do believe the lord will lead you to the right place. you just need to ask and do the work.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Ask God to lead you in this relationship. God wants you to be with a man who will be good to and has Gods will for you at the center of his heart. God may require you to let this relationship die but it will only be to provide you with someone who is a better fit. Just pray and ask for God's leading. He will answer
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2008