How to better handle a sensitive child

My daughter is 5 years old and is quite sensitive to daily things. She gets upset easily and cries or gets angry. I would just like advice on better handling her and trying to help her.

tnmommy2010

Asked by tnmommy2010 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• me too
    lilmama406

Answer by lilmama406 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Be patient and understanding. Don't tell her she's overreacting or being dramatic. Don't tell her to "knock it off." (Not saying you do - just remembering some of the things I was told as a sensitive child.) Have her talk about her feelings with you and then you validate her feelings. Let her know it is okay to feel upset and angry and that there are all kinds of ways of coping with emotions, and tell her how you cope. Make it an ongoing, respectful discussion. You could always consult a child psychologist if you feel she is really unhappy/unstable though. You know her better than anyone else. Early intervention for emotional problems is the best if that happens to be the case with her.
    Anonymous

• I like the above answer, but I would also add: don't try to change her. Love her for who she is.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i totally agree with the above answers, good luck momma
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 12:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Just be patient, don't scold her, but also try to redirect her attention. I had one like that, and we had some luck with humor. Doesn't work for all, but sometimes I could ticlkle her into a better mood.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• It depends on what your daughter cries or gets angry about. Does she react the same way with children and other adults? Is there a pattern to her behavior? For example, does she cry or get angry when she is tired or when she has to share her toys?  Is there a time of day, place or situation that sets her off? Is this a new behavior or has it been going on for some time? Think about your daughter's over-all day and the reasons for her sensitivity and anger. Only then can you address it appropriately.

www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

LAG33

Answer by LAG33 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Consistent, patient and understanding. No yelling at her or raising your voice and make sure she has a good routine.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 6:41 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• There is a positive parenting group on here that you might want to check out.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 17, 2011

• Even tho it gets frusterating be patient with her!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 1:15 AM on Jun. 18, 2011

• I was that kid. Very sensitive and easily upset. Just having people in my life that were kind and patient and empathetic was a huge help. Keep in mind that kids that are sensitive are very emotionally intelligent and it is just hard for them to calm themselves when they are upset/
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:47 AM on Jun. 18, 2011