Do you let your child play outside by themselves?

we just got new neighbors and one of the lil boys is prob around 2 yrs old. I am always seeing him outside by himself riding his bike in the street. I always go outside with my son to play or watch him play. I could never imagine letting him just go out by himself. If I lived in country it might be different but now with the street being right out our front door. The mom never goes out to check on her son either for the hr I spend outside everyday with my son. Just really bothers me.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yikes. 2 is a baby! I would say notify the proper authorities if it keeps happening. That sounds like neglect to me. And I wouldn't let my child play outside alone in the city or country. There are freaks everywhere. Maybe when they are older, like 9 or 10, and the back yard, but I don't think you can be too safe these days.
    Anonymous

• Hell NO! Were have morning and afternoon park times and I am always with them. I wouldn't let them out of my sight the yare too young. The mom is a Dumb ace and should n't have children if she is choosing not to take care of them.
    I know mom's are going to get on an boo me but seriously some parents need to watch there kids they pick up bad behavior from other children they need that to be inforced.. I would tell the mom to get off her ace and take care of her son before he gets hit by a car.
    Anonymous

• only in the back yard
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• No way & I do live in the country, this is so sad , the parents should be watching that kid , IMO he is to young to be running around by himself.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• do you live in my neighborhood? I experience the same thing but it's a two year old girl and her four year old son play out side by themselves it is horrible. She says its safe,but it only takes a second for that car to drive by and snatch one of them.
    motherwanting6

Answer by motherwanting6 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and I only let her play in the backyard by herself, which is fenced in and our 3 really protective dogs are always with her when she is outside. And I'm telling you that the one dog no one would want to mess with. Even though I let her out back and the dogs are with her, I leave the door open so I can hear her and I check on her like every 5 minutes. I wont even leave her bedroom window open at night. As for playing out front, she is not allowed out there unless her dad or me is out there with her. If she were 2 there is no way in hell that I would let her outside by herself at all.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I have an 8yr old son and he still isnt allowed out on his own just yet. I personally think its just to much going on now a days to let my son go out to play alone I rather take the hour or two to sit with him and know he is safe then to let him go out alone anything could happen while hes outside alone
    MsSmoove

Answer by MsSmoove at 12:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• i will never let my 2 years old outside without supervision.
    satwins

Answer by satwins at 12:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Oh heck no - I don't let my 4 or 6 yo play outside alone! I just finally started letting my 8 & 9 yo play outside alone! And we live in a tiny town, pretty safe neighborhood, know everyone well!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• We have a privacy fenced in back yard, my son who is two can not reach the handles to open the gate, so would I let him play outside by himself? HELL NO! Maybe when he is older 6 or 7 and has been taught you do not leave the back yard, if you hear something strange you come inside immeditaly. Then yes I will but not at 2!!!!!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 16, 2011