My Son has hurpeys "witlows" on his thumb

He has had high fevers and won't stop crying at nights What should I do has any other mother had to deal with this?

Everettsmom163

Asked by Everettsmom163 at 4:07 AM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would make sure that he keeps his hands clean. Yes I know not easy with toddlers. Did he have chicken pox or the vaccine. Because a person can't have any form of herpes without first having exposure to the virus. Second I'd take him to doc if you haven't. Tylenol or Motrin for the fever and orajel on the thumb are all good ideas.  Must be awful to be small and hurt when you suck your thumb,

granmaw56

Answer by granmaw56 at 7:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• WTF? Herpes and only a toddler? How? why? What are witlows>?
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 4:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• It's not that kind of herpes. It's an infection on the hand. Toddlers get it the easiest because of thumb sucking.
    Saria87

Answer by Saria87 at 4:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• So what do I do just let him cry all night I've tried every thing
    Everettsmom163

Answer by Everettsmom163 at 4:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Ahh I see. I know this is weird, well maybe not, but I have ingrown toenails from being a ballerina for 11 years, and I sometimes have to cut them out. It hurts sooo bad. I use baby oragel on it and it numbs it... Maybe it just hurts. Maybe that's not it at all. Having any other symptoms?
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 4:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• has he seen a dr.? i would give baby motrin for the pain and fever and try baby orajel on his tumb.
    snuggs27

Answer by snuggs27 at 6:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Herpes is a virus, chicken pox like virus. It will go away with time but it doesn't like moisture, so sucking that thumb is bad. I would play a game with some children's gloves with him, or find something else like a pacifier.
    If you go to the health food store, a reputable one, they have lots of over the counter alternatives medicines for all sorts of viruses, even the flu. They are made from animals who have already had the virus, just like vaccines. They really do work but you will have to work out the dosage with your physician or someone knowlegable at the store. Mine is owned by a pediatric RN and she's wonderful. When he gets a little older, if it persists, there are antiviral drugs that will keep it from coming back. Has he had a chicken pox vaccine yet? This may be the source or the answer for your problem, either way I would like the person giving him the vaccine know that he has had the virus.
    Good luck!
    AshersMommy1201

Answer by AshersMommy1201 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2008