Uniforms or no uniforms for public schools?

What is your opinion about uniforms in public schools? Should the kids wear them and why (or why not)? Thanks. :)

Ashoonik

Asked by Ashoonik at 11:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2011 in

• i would have hated wearing them!! if you have uniforms then you dont have the problems of people acting out through clothing you dont have kids wearing things that are inappropriate for school!! but from a kids point of view you cant express yourself and dress how you want... but then with uniforms they cant express themselves through clothing so there is less bullying and problems with kids getting picked on about what they are wearing
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I love them. I don't have to argue with them about something they want to wear. It is also WAY, WAY cheaper to buy uniforms than a school wardrobe. My boys were in them up until High School. My grandkids are in them now. I don't buy into the it reduces bullying. It does even the playing field somewhat though.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Uniforms! It's way more economic to have uniforms for families, plus in my opinion it's better for the school. A lot of drama happens in schools because of how kids dress, how little clothing girls wear nowadays, ect. Uniforms make everyone equal.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I am in Australia and we do have uniforms in all public schools; I think it's a good thing. It takes so much of the "what to wear" headache out of the issue with growing kids. I can't imagine the stress for parents - and teenagers - of having to wear the latest fashions or be shunned! It puts the ones who are rich and the ones who are poor on a MORE even playing field, in terms of how they act and how they are treated by their peers. Everyone still knows who the more and less advantaged kids are, but it's not right in their face so much, ya know?
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• i am all for uniforms
    dmr73059

Answer by dmr73059 at 4:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• I so wish our school would go to uniforms. It would be cheaper. The kids would look more "professional". It would end the clothing battle I have with my daughter every morning. The reason our school wouldn't go to uniforms is because it stifles self expression. I feel there are other ways a student can express themselves.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• We had the choice when I was little, we'd wear uniform Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, then wear what we like Thursday and Friday. But I like uniform, it looks neater somehow :)
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 9:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• Thank you ladies for your comments. Besides the fact that it makes the kids look equal (even though we all know who the rich ones are) can you think of other positive points about uniforms? DD is doing a report for school. We are trying to figure out three reasons why wearing uniforms in public schools is a good thing. Thank you.
    Ashoonik

Comment by Ashoonik (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• uniform !!
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 9:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2011

• My DS wears a uniform, and it sure does make getting dressed in the morning easier, but he has ripped up about 20 pairs of pants (so far) I kind of with they would allow them to wear jeans and the uniform shirt!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2011